Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a cow horn spike last week.1 shot with 000 buck.He doubled over.I waited about 10 minuets and walked over to him.I could have kicked him.
He was just laying there doing the death tremor.I heard the dogs coming from a different direction.I walked back to my stand.about 15 minuets later I see the dog driver coming thru the woods.I look up to see that spike get up and hall a$$.I could not shoot because of the driver.I was expecting to find him within 50 yards.
No luck.I tracked that deer for over an hour and half.believe it or not that deer was killed 3 hours later in front of another pack of dogs.

Next time if a muscle moves.He is getting 000 buck or the old timer to the throat. [sad]

·
Registered
471 Posts
A buddy of mine had that happen Saturday, but the dogs got to her. He ended up getting the doe though. I hate the finishing off shots like that but sometimes it has to be done.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry you didn't get him, thats tough to swallow. I always keep a # 8 for that occasion, right below the ear.

Have seen deer thrown in the back of the truck stand up that looked dead. Also saw a turkey run out of a dog box when the guy was showing him off, that was funny to have everybody standing there with no guns in hand.

At least somebody got him and he didn't go to waste.

BILL

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
I have seen deer shot and lay waiting for it to die and as I approached the deer musterd up the energy to stand and I reloaed the smoke pole and split a sapling and the deer vanished into the corn and was tracked for 200 yards then lost. They have an AMAZING will to survive just like bow hunting leave em' lay. Deer can come to after the inital impact of a slug or smoke pole anyway! Live and Learn I guess.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep...Been there..done that...It happens to everyone. I hape to finish one off, but some times you have to. I will usually stand over it and wait. Once I had a nic 9 pointer I nailed with the smokepole drop right down and flip flop till he didn't move. The he lifted his head and stood up and had that.....Man that hurt but I think I'm gonna be OK look on his face, he looked at me then looked around as if to decide what he was gonna do....then...BAM...I let him have another...Upon autopsy I found that since it was a head on shot from the ground I hit him in the neck the bullet travelled up through the back strap hit the spine and stopped. No vitals hit., just one heck of a painful shot until I delivered the final shot that took a care of him. But he almost got away for sure. My buddy killed one during shotgun season on full run that had a .50 cal bullet in his back strap that hit the spine and was healed over, my guess it was from ther year before.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this deer would have even tried to get up I would have shot him again.He was just laying there.Maybe I knocked him out with the wad lol.This was the first time I used 000 buck.Every deer I have killed with a shotgun has been with 4 buck.I just found some for my new 31/2 inch magnum.That is all that will be in there from now on.52 pellets [excited][excited]

·
Registered
471 Posts
I shot a nice buck two weeks ago with a slug at about 40 yards. He hit the ground like somebody pulled his feet out from under him. A minute later he jumps up and runs to the woods, I shot again and he runs off. The first shot went through both shoulders with an exit wound big enough to almost put your fist through. Ended going about 40 yards into the woods and died. I was amazed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Duane

It wasn't the 000's. I shot a buck Saturday on a full run at 50 steps and hit him with 6 out of 8 pellets. Three of the seven went out the other side. I also shoot 2 3/4" Buckshot and nothing else. They have the same powder with less lead so the end result is more power. For example: a 2 3/4" #4 Buckshot has Max. drams of powder pushing 27 shot. The 3 1/2" has Max. drams of powder pushing 54 shot. Thats twice the lead and the same powder. I would stich with the 000's and make sure you pattern the gun so it will shoot them well. If it makes you feel better use the Ol' Timer.

DEAN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts