Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a late start again. Only one small LM bass. Going to the Pasadena Flea Market in the morning with friends, then will ice fish in the afternoon.:rockon:

Phil (lily):52:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I saw some guys ice fishing in Dark Cove (Martin's Lagoon) last Sunday. I was on shore. One guy had a chain saw to cut holes. If you use a chain saw and a fishing rod on the same trip then you must be a *******.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
I can recall way back in the 70's (I believe) when the ice was so thick we couldn't use an axe to cut holes. Didn't have an auger back then. We used a chain saw. It soaks ya because while the blade comes back around and ya break through, water starts filling the hole but ya got to cut the block out. Meantime, as the chain comes back up towards ya it's throwing water all over you. :wacko:

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
That was 76/77 You could drive a car on the ice in Middle River.We had about 4/6 weeks of up to -40 wind chills.It was the longest and worst cold spell I remember.The ice pulled up alot of the pilings.They looked like Roller Coastyers in the Spring.When the tide goes down,the ice grips the piling,when the tide goes back up,it grips & lifts the piling up til the ice breaks away & looses it's grip.I believe the ice was 18-24 inches.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
I've only seen a few small bass caught recently on the Gunpowder.I was hpoing to use their precut holes after they left,but they're cut in the wrong places.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Capt. Nick give me a call on my cell 410-908-6921:8:

I have an auger will drill where you like.:8:

Do you live on the quarry , where the blue boat is? I was jigging there yesterday.

I just got back from Pasdena Flea Market, bought a few things for Spring trolling:rockon:

Phil (lily)

I will be out today:cool2:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Capt. Nick. Those holes where productive this afternoon. :cool2: I know that quarry like the back of my hand. Every hump ledge etc. The only problem is the ice on top of it.:52:

Those holes can be very good... That side has a deep channel that has a sharp upslope hump about 65 feet off shore.

5 bass , 4 yellows ( 1 @ 12 inches ) , all of the bass where @ 12 to 14 inches:D

Boy did it get cold @ sunset BRRRRRRRR with that wind a howlin across that ice.

I will try to get away monday or tuesday afternoon. After that it's over with the warm rain coming in..:mad:

Phil (lily):rockon:

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
I saw 2 guys out there til dark ice fishing.This could be the last week of ice.I haven't ice fished in years.I looked forward to taking my kayak down the Carroll Island Power Plant during the ice season to fish the open water,but now that they shut it down,it's back to the ice or wait til next week.Those fish out there are almost like pets to me.I rarley even keep a perch or crappie.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Nick I agree. It bothers me deeply to see these guys keep crappie:ban:

I will keep a few big yellows during the ice, they taste real good...

I'm heading up to upstate Vermont next week. They have 84 inches of snow on the lakes, but we still plan to get out. Ice is 27 inches thick, they say the heavy snow hurts the ice from reaching 40 inches. They still run a logging company that drives 18 wheelers across the ice from canada. So they need the thicker ice:D

Phil (lily)

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,760 Posts
Saturday - 3/3/07COMBINED SEMINAR$25.00 in Advance
8:00am to 1:00pmPresented by Capt. Tom Hughes & Capt. Chuck Fisher$35.00 At the Door
Dundalk Moose Hall #1228LIGHT TACKLE ,FLY FISHING, TROLLING, LIVE LINING, BOTTOM BOUNCINGCall 410-288-5310 for Tickets
LILY: Thanks for the report. How deep were you fishing? Were you using tip-ups or jigging? And what lure or bait were you using?

Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber
748 Posts
Just curious- What bothers you about keeping crappie? The only time I'll eat them is out of cold water. I understand they are kind of cyclic in the population around here in the tidal water, but seems to me the yellow perch are having a tougher time.
Mike

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
From the weather report it should soon be game on for some shoreline crappies. I plan on taking my son to JT and other less traveled places and let him have at it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts