Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a couple of my spots this morning before work. Walked out on the river and everything looks good. I'm picking up my ice drill in the morning. My buddy did drill a few small holes today on the gunpowder.

4 inches seems to be the norm but he did find some spots that are 6 to 7 inches.

On Sat. morning we are going to have a ice fishing party. We are going to try some of are favorite spots in hopes of catching some nice yellow perch and crappies:clap:

I will update our success over the weekend.

Phil(lily):thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
THink its supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow... dont know how smart that is bud. Be Careful!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the ice already set in, it will take a week of 50 degree weather and some rain to make the ice un safe. Also remember, it might get to 50 degrees. High temps for the day dont get acheived until @ 3:30 PM. So its only warm for an hour or so. It is also going to get cold again on Saturday and cold all next week. I will be ice fishing for at least the next 2 weeks, as long as we dont get too much rain?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Good luck My 9 year old and I are going ice fishing the hard way Polar Bear style off sandy point. If anyone wants something to do come on down watch a bunch of maniacs jump in the water on purpose (maybe catch the fever for next year)

·
Registered
654 Posts
With the ice already set in, it will take a week of 50 degree weather and some rain to make the ice un safe. Also remember, it might get to 50 degrees. High temps for the day dont get acheived until @ 3:30 PM. So its only warm for an hour or so. It is also going to get cold again on Saturday and cold all next week. I will be ice fishing for at least the next 2 weeks, as long as we dont get too much rain?

Famous last words.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Just went over the bush, frozen solid. North side looks thicker, south side has what looks like wet or thinner ice. This is at the railroad bridge.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I can't comment on thickness but last Satruday they were ice fishing on Darkhead Creek which is way up in Middle River near the old Martins plant. It's pretty shalllow up there. No doubt crappie fishing. The Wilson Point Park ramp was solid ice.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

if it were an impoundment, i would have to agree with you. BUT.... tidal ice is never very trustworthy. i wouldnt trust it.

saty safe!

brett

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Lily!
Please finish my refi before you go ice fishing!!! :D:D:D

Seriously, Frog Mortar Creek looks quite solid as well. Just need to find a spot to walk out on that isn't soft by the water's edge.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck fishing!!!

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I looking foward to fishing the Patapsco soon I hope. I'll give you a call this evening about tomorrow morning so maybe we can together beofre you start drilling holes in the ice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When my mom was a child the bay would freeze over at the head of the bay every year. they would ice skate on the flats and could sometimes go as far as Turkey Point! She also told me about catching hard head 2 at a time up by Turkey point in the 1930's... 2-4 pounds each. Global cooling?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Many years back, my buddy and I would canoe into a campsite and hunt buck for a week up near the New York border on Kinzua Lake. One year we arrived to find the lake frozen at our launch spot, with an ice fisherman out there. We had this bright idea of loading our aluminum canoe with all of our camping gear and dragging it across and up the lake to the camp site.

We asked about the condition of the ice, and he said it was OK, as long as you didn't break through near the shore. I have no idea how he figured it out. Being young and invincible, we put the canoe out on the ice, loaded it up with about a ton of gear, and ran over those couple of feet of thin ice out to where it was thick enough (supposedly) to hold us.

So what if we were crossing about a quarter mile of frozen lake? So what if the ice cracked and groaned at each step? We were going to haul that sucker across and get our deer camp set up. The thing that probably saved our lives was the fact that we could not budge the canoe. You would think that an aluminum canoe would just slide over the ice. Noooo!

Between the weight of the canoe and our lack of traction, there was no movement. If we had ice creepers, we would probably still be on the bottom of lake.

Bottom line: we packed up all our gear, drove about 50 miles around the lake, camped on the top of the mountain instead of down by the lake, and still managed to get a couple of bucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts