Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to VA I have a question. I am told that the channel for the ICW is seaside. If that is the case, how is the channel maintained? I want to take my boat from Wachapreague to the CBBT. Anybody have any experience with this route? Is the route well marked? Are there any bad areas? ETc.... Etc.....

Thanks for your help as always.

Mark

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mark, Here you go,

The Atlantic Intercoastal waterway starts in Portsmouth Va. Mile zero. Maintained by the Corps of Engeneers with a control depth thats guareeteed. (sometimes) And Marked to some sort of standard.

There is a passage from Chincoteague that runs on the Seaside of the Eastern shore south to The cut under " the little bridge". Last one before the CBBT hits Kiptopeake shore. I run it all the time, Mostly Oyster South but have run north too. People running from the Seaside ports to inlets will transit parts of it. Not many run the whole thing North to South. I have always called it the VIP Virginia Inside Passage, Thats what it used to be named but I don't think they use that name anymore.

It's a lesser waterway in maintaince and marking than the ICW. I don't think there has been any maintaince dredging in years the markers are further apart and if one goes missing it's not replaced as promptly. Generaly they are not double, that is you don't have Red and green on either side of the channel, they alternate.

Numbers are like the ICW , "Red Right Southbound" You need to watch out for the markings since the markers stop when the channel intersects the main channel in and out of a port like Oyster, numbers change to 'Red Right Returning" then revert to the southbound markings again.

Running it from Watchaprege south would depend on your boat and Nav ablity. I would not want to take over 3 feet of draft and even then would only run Daytime paying real close attention to keeping lined up on the markers, even if they are a mile or so apart. The tide range is large, could be in excess of 5 feet and real wind dependent, Oyster bars either side of the channel that give no warning from deep to hitting the bar. On the tide, it is driven by the nearest inlet so the current will go from against you to with you as you move up or down. It confuses people all the time.

Having given all those cautions I use it a lot. My boat is shallow and daytime will run down to my favorate spots using the creeks and marshes, Late night return or if the tide is low I will run back via the VIP. Using a powerfull searchlight and GPS have never had a problem. Years ago before GPS when caught out on one of the Islands at night would wait for daylight before trying it.

Thats all I know

Boats

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info Bro. Really appreciate the help. Sounds like it may be a little wiser to take er outside.

Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mark

Depends on the boat, Outside is much easier if it's up to it. If you are looking at the inlets they take some knowledge too. Out of Watchapregue and Oyster not too bad. If you are running into the Bay you need to give the Shoals off Fishermans a wide berth. Some of the little ones are real dangerous and poorly marked if at all.

Inside is a real good option when it's blowing and worth your time to investigate, Do it daytime on high tide carefully.

Boats

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i was just gonna ask him that boats- how big/what type boat you runn'n mike

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
racn he has a 25 bert .

Mark pull her down to kipto and put her in there . the run down to the cbbt will take alot longer than the drive . you will have to do it outside all the way down . just my.02

Kevin

·
Registered
101 Posts
With You Kevin If He Is Not Been That Way Before It Would Be A Nightmare. I Run Inside Alot During Drum Season In May To Southend Hog Island And Beyond And This Winter Got Caught At Fisherman's Island And Had To Come Inside To Get Back To Wachapreague And It Is Not Something Where If U Have Never Done That I Would Advise Anybody Trying. Done The Run Inside Plenty Of Times But Like U Said Trailer The Boat Or Go The Ocean And Let Her Eat.

Capt Lindsay Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
not to hijack the thread but the icw just to the north of wach. (between 121 and 122) is either shoaled over or poorly marked I've found bottom on both sides of 122.I've been coming to wach for twenty plus years and have yet to find anything resembling a channel.Maybe one of you locals could clue me in Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
North of Watchapregue is much worse. South is Ok daylight but with less draft than a 25 Bertrum. Problem with that boat is if it hits, even just a bump. it's expensive, and your are probably going to bend both of them. Years ago I ran some fairly large boats up and down the Seaside everyday. With full keels protecting the wheel, not going real fast a bump was no problem.

Boats

·
Registered
56 Posts
vip

I would trailer or go the ocean route. VIP gets real skinny at the north end of Ramshorn (around green 221 until green 213), width and depth wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts