Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Nick, the title of your post reminds me of a Merle Haggard song....
Something like:

I'd like to see more Musky in the Susky
A place where toothy fish can have a ball
They mightl eat the Walleye in Ohio
But their fightin's still the biggest thrill of all

Ummm, sorry... thanks for the link.... great story. :D :D :p -Shawn

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Maybe 5 yrs ago I saw about 20 fingerlings (tigers) hangin out under the lights at the HdG railroad ramp. DNR had just stocked them. Not sure how theyre doing in the lower river but I wouldnt be surprised if they all suffocated and got washed down the bay.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably the stripers ate em?Really though.Alot of people don't understand that Musky spawn later than alot of other fish.As an example..Chain pickerel spawn first.That's why a place like Loch Raven has more Chain pickerel than Northeren pike.The yellow perch spawn first,then Pickerel,Pike & Musky.They are ahead in size of the later spawning Pike or even later..Musky.So the Pike & Musky become food minnows for perch,bass,pickerel,etc.When the few that survive become predators,they keep the pan fish in check.Although they will eat other game fish at times,they consider Carp a delicacy and have been stocked in carp infested waters to thin them out.The best Eastern Shore ponds that I've fished for quality Crappie & yellow perch contained Pickerel.The same goes for reservoirs that have them.You generally find stunted panfish in bodies of water that have few predator fish like Pike or Bass.Bottom line..All fish eat other fish,including eachother..no exceptions.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Nick,

The warm spell we HAD the last few weeks would have been a perfect time to go for them doing that exact same float we did this summer. There was some really nice looking deep water right near the take out point. I don't know why I didn't go. Every time it was nice I worked on the boat, did yard work or went trout fishing for fish half the size of some of the lures I used that day.

I don't think Muskie do well in brackish water. The upper susky has a good population of tiger muskies but the Potomac is where it's at (from what I've heard). They are often caught through the ice so now's the time. When should we do that float again?

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any time you want..Let me know.I just bought another kayak.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The first and only time I ever caught a musky was on the Susky about 17 or 18 years ago. It was a tiger musky about 28 inches long. It bit a white spinnerbait while I was bass fishing a weed line down from I 95. I took a picture of it and let it go. I always remember that day.
I have seen some other little ones in shallow water up there and also in Lake Redman in Pa. Would love to catch a regular musky some day and even another tiger musky up there. Thanks for the post and link. I thought it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would really be great to have a Musky fishery closer to Baltimore.Other than the upper Potomac,The Susky is our only chance for a northern type Canadian fishery.Smallies,Walleyes&Muskys with Shad,Stripers,& Largies thrown in for good measure.What a smogasboard of year around fishing.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I'd like to see more Muskie in the Severn. I think that the SRRKC should start the stocking program...we have plenty of nice Carp in the upper-reaches for them to devour. How'd you like to enter this "Pike" in the Pickerel Derby?:D

View attachment 785

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are muskys below Conowingo but they are few and far between. An old timer who is now gone told me of a hole I've yet to explore in the kayak where he had caught several over his many years. I hooked one once in the kayak about half a mile below the dam. The only reason I know it was a musky was because it followed the lure and hit boatside and I saw it. It then peeled line from my reel so fast it would not have surprised me if smoke had come out of the reel. I had it on a whopping 5-10 seconds then it took a turn past a boulder and popped the line. What a rush, made me want to hook another one but I haven't yet. I'd love to see a larger population up there but it won't happen naturally. We would have to convince DNR to stock tigers below the dam. And that's ok too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts