Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all the posts on trolling with light gear and remembered a trip that might help you guys trying this tactic in spring.2 years ago my dad had a few of his older friends out fishing.Now I joke around alot about "killing" my crew by having them reel in too many fish-well with these guys it wasn't a joke.We had to all but stop everytime we hooked up-these were only 30-33'' fish.To avoid getting muck/mud or the lures I dropped down to 10 rods-all off the planer boards (5 each side ).We let back 30-45' of line and then put the rubberband on.This way I could stop the boat for a hook up but the lures just dangled off the boards.We even caught one while "drifting".I stayed in 50' or deeper and it worked OK.Like others suggested-go with the wind or tide.Good luck- Skip

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
that's a good idea, Skip.

should work great as long as the water is deeper than the lines are long & you are using boards!

thanks for thr tip.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Skip,
Thats pretty much exactly what I do and why I said planer baords are essential for light tackle trolling. 5 on each planer baord and four deep lines, and you're straight.

Of course the advatage of this is when the boat only has enough forward motion to make the boards go in the right direction, you are actually fighting the fish, feel drag runs and head shakes and in my opinion can release him in better condition than spiraling him in at three miles an hour.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Skip,
Thats pretty much exactly what I do and why I said planer baords are essential for light tackle trolling. 5 on each planer baord and four deep lines, and you're straight.

Of course the advatage of this is when the boat only has enough forward motion to make the boards go in the right direction, you are actually fighting the fish, feel drag runs and head shakes and in my opinion can release him in better condition than spiraling him in at three miles an hour.
Very interesting . I still think a post dedicated to pulling very small baits along shallow shorlines is in order . Pulling single bucktails and small swim baits on light spinning rods can produce a myriad of fish . Anybody tried this method ?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Very interesting . I still think a post dedicated to pulling very small baits along shallow shorlines is in order . Pulling single bucktails and small swim baits on light spinning rods can produce a myriad of fish . Anybody tried this method ?
Many moons ago, fellows used to troll from small tin and fibreglass boats (12 to16 ft) on Marshyhope Creek in Federalsburg. They trolled beneath the overhanging branches of the trees lining the creek. They used relatively light (8 to 14 lb test) spinning rods and baitcasters. They trolled 5 inch shallow running Rebel plugs. Maybe some medium depth runners also. As I recall the water there is only approx. 6ft deep.

Marshyhope Creek used to have a myriad of species. It may still have them. Channel cats, stripers, white and yellow perch, pickeral, bluegills, LM Bass, crappie. Excellent creek for small boats, canoes and kayaks. Used to be a ramp at the American Legion and of course there is a county or state ramp in town. Have no idea if a permit is required or not. The Legion ramp was free.

If anyone on the board can update my info I'd love to hear it. Wouldn't mind returning there this spring and summer.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Last year I did a lot of trolling down here on the Piankatank with my little 14 foot boat for stripers in the early part of the fall season. I ran 5 rods one with a 7 inch umbrealla with small curly tail grubs, two with 1/4 - 3/8 ounce jig heads with curly tails or shad ( which ever got hit first I would normally switch the other over to it), one with a bunker colored storm shad, and then what ever I felt might just work that day. Caught lots of rockfish up to 30 inches doing this using light spinning tackle with 12 - 15 pound test. Lots of fun catching a 26 incher on a 4.5 foot ultra light uglystik. Also caught a good number of trout, both grey and specks, I can't wait for spring season to come along so I can try this a little further upriver to see if it works in the spring when they are running up river.

--John

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Done it many times in the kayak for rockfish - but limited to 4 rods... usually any more than 2 is more trouble than it's worth. I like storms, tony acettas, small spoon umbrellas, and various crankbaits. I can say, however, that I've never yet not caught fish when LTT from the kayak - spring, summer, or fall.

I know it's blasphemous to many here, but I trolled up some of my best fish on the flats last year in the yak (as in, 3ft of water trolling)... but a kayak won't spook a fish even in shallow water. This is a flats fish off of an unweighted crippled alewife:

This fish was LTT as well on a long crankbait pulled on a spinning rod:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
100% positve that is April 06 on the flats. Second pic is not the flats and not the spring.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
All depends on the rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts