Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have ideas for TKAA and the website. I think the more input people have in the making and runbning of a club the more they enjoy it. There should be some standard stuff like a photo gallery on the website and then maybe a trophy room with pics of big fish members have caught from the yak, etc. I have quite a few ideas but what like to see what the majority of the club likes, I don't want this club to end up like a lot of other clubs I have seen where only the ideas of a few are used or even entertained. Anyway, just curious what were some of the suggestions so we can do this right the first time while Cory is still building the site and the club is still new.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chad, I don't think I have a lot of input right now but a picture gallery is always a good way to go. We'll have to get the pic of the Tarpon u caught last year. Maybe a small forum to discuss when and where people are going fishing in the upcoming weeks. A calendar section to show season for the most common fish, and any upcoming events and meetings TKAA has. I'll have to send more ideas later when they come to me. I realize these are probably ideas you already have but I'll come up with more :).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd like it to become the "go to" site for current kayak only fishing reports. My boat fishing days are over and I surf fish only in extreme weather. The other sites are very sercretive about where with what and how. Remember, we often fish places boaters and surf fishermen can't go. I think it would be a great service to kayak only fishermen. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chad, Hope to meet you soon. I've joined the fraternity of kayak fishers here in Tidewater sometime after you took off for more exotic locales last year. I have enjoyed reading your postings and contributions to the Kayak Fishing board over the past few months. I saw on another thread that you, Cory, and Darrell are planning on heading up for the 2nd Annual Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament next month. That was the first time I had heard about it, and even though I won't be able to make it, participating in that type of event would be a great activity for the club. I found some good information about the event at http://kayakfish4conservation.com.
Ralph

·
Registered
130 Posts
As more people (like me) get our first kayaks we are trying to figure out different ways to strap on rod holders, anchors, electronics etc. A good section on rigging with pictures and instructions were members can show off how they performed the latest addition to their fishing machine would be great for all.

Jay

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a nice digital camera during this deployment and plan to buy a new yak when I get back. I am going to photograph the rigging from start to finish and give them to Cory for the site. He already has some great pics on his site but I am going to do step by step pictures with instructions and recommendations. For recurring topics like how to install a depth finder or rig an anchor shuttle or set up a fishing crate those would be helpful, I would also like to include multiple examples of each, so if anyone needs help rigging anything up or instaling any of your yak toys give me a ring at 348-2232 (I'll be back around the 16th). The great thing about kayak fishing is that it is still growing and there is no only way to do it. New ideas come out all the time and lots of new guys come up with "better" ways to do things. I am an engineer an really like to tinker and make stuff for my yak rather than buying it commercially.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to see a calender set up that has one day a month set up for a fishing trip. This trip will move around to different locations and launch sites.
This will allow members to learn new locations to fish,Different fish to target and give new members/prospective kayak buyers a chance to meet and learn.

Example: May - Eastern Shore/Quimby Target fish- Flounder
June - OI Trout
July - CBBT Spade fish
ect.

Set this up on say the third saturday of the month. Not every member would be able to attend every outing thus it would require full member particapation to make it work.
If we pass this calender out to the local kayak dealers I think that they would be happy to tell new owners about these outings.

This would help promote Comradely, Training, and involve reagonal particapation.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Lest get this non-profit thing under control at first, and the club organization. The next step is to find a treasurer and to establish the Board of Directors. The website content is subjective to the amount needed to handle the bandwith, which can exceed our current initiation fees. Then ther is the question of allowing members only to access the information on th site. This will be discussed at the next meeting on April 20th.

Please understand that I have one more kayak fishing seminar, this week but promise to get the ball rolling when I return.

Chad, dont be concerned, all members will have ample input on matters that pertain to the club.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this is a classic "if we build it they will come". As far as the initiation fees not covering an imporved sight, I would be willing to kick in a few more bucks to make upgrades if necessary. Many others probably feel the same way. There are two sides to the members only question and like Cory said we can discuss that at the meeting. I like the ideas that have been posted here. Also, to raise addditional funds we could do small club members only tourneys with like a half payback or something to help get the club off the ground. A club I was a former member of had a monthly pool type tourney and it was a geat time and was usually a learning/sharing experience instead of a cutthroat out for blood type endeavor. I think the rodeo type setup is a good format for those becasue it allows people with different work schedules and previous engagements to still participate. They start on say Friday afternoon and last until Sunday midday, we could still use the Catch-Photo-Release format and the honor system would be in effect. These regular tourney could give guys many opportunities to participate and may lead to more interest in the sport from observers as well. Anyway, I am ranting, glad to see there is interest-keep the ideas coming. Trust me, when I get home there will be more fishing and less typing.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maps of launching locations. Phone mumbers of memebers. A message board where we could post without the whole world viewing it.

Pictures of set up kayaks is also a must, however pictures take up bandwidth. I plan of taking pictures of what I have done so far. I just haven't had the time to do it yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just thought of this. Maybe a list of people and what they consider themselves "experts" in or at least could help inform others (or give a presentation on) a subject. Like for me, I'd consdier myself expert enough to talk about kayak fishing the Susky Flats, Nottoway River, Allens Fresh and the CCNPP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cory, if you run into website issues as far as bandwidth planning, security, or need help developing any of the web applications that are being thrown out, let me know. I have launched more e-businesses that I care to count and can lock down your website as tight as you want.

Jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.