Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Be interesting to see what comes of all this uproar with the illegal netting.
I think many are shocked at how many fish one net can take.

Hoping someone steps up to lead the charge.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
keith i just left a message for ms. smith press relations nc fisheries. won't do any good.

i also suggested to the maryland charterboat association the we write a letter of protest to north carolina and the feds.
i honestly do not believe nc will do anything about it. they have already one failed attempt.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I think many are shocked at how many fish one net can take.
IMHO - this is part of the problem. The general public, and probably our government are not fully aware of what is really going on. Those nets found at bloody point are just a drop in the barrel. There are illegal gill nets on every tributary of the entire chespeake bay.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Look, I don't know squat about writing a petition, but I took a few minutes and put this together. Maybe as a group, we can work together and do some good here. Please feel free to comment, criticize, or put this towards a greater good.

We, the undersigned, for the sake of our striped bass, our children, and our children’s children, seek a ban on the commercial harvest of striped bass in Maryland waters by the destructive practice of gill-netting. In light of the recent discoveries of illegal netting practices, the inherent difficulties of regulating such a fishery, and the unwillingness or inability of the honest watermen to provide information that would prevent such illegal activity, we ask that legislative action be taken to protect our valuable resource. The practice kills indiscriminately. Other, equally efficient, methods of harvest exist that are easier to regulate and would limit the bycatch associated with both legal and illegal netting. We, the undersigned, the collective owners of the resource and those who fund the agencies responsible for protecting that resource, are stolen from not once, but twice by these nefarious practices. Our resource is being illegally harvested outside of legal quotas and the manpower of our underfunded and understaffed Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resources Police is consumed with the difficult and dangerous task of regulating this fishery. For these reasons, we seek a complete ban on the commercial harvest of striped bass by gillnet.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
We, the undersigned, for the sake of our striped bass...

...For these reasons, we seek a complete ban on the commercial harvest of striped bass by gillnet.
Thanks! I copied this text into a folder, and will use it to write Maryland legislators Annapolis regarding this.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ok, I got a suggestion that instead of limiting the petition to gillnetting, we go for a ban on all netting. Obviously, that would be great for the health of the Bay, but I worry about asking for too much. But then again, one of my old buddies used to say that "you don't get what you don't ask for." Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Where do I sign? Looks good to me. Would be good to have a copy at each of the various Fishermen's Flea Markets, starting with Tri-State's tomorrow.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think that if this is going to be a serious effort, especially if we are going to push for a ban on all nets, it will not be feasible to have this ready to go by tomorrow morning. (Especially considering I've already had one celebratory new boat rum drink.) I will work on polishing the language of the petition. Would somebody else be willing to look into required/suggested formatting, the target for the petition, and a sponsorship organization (Tidalfish?)? Like I said, I've never done anything like this before, but I'm willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No need to start a petition.........just get the legit watermen to beat the everlivin' $h!t out of the poachers that they know.........and then beat the pi$$ out of them a few weeks later for good measure.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Ditto,

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am guessing that the waterman don't remember 1984 to 1989 or better yet that they don't care if a moratorium is placed back on the fish( it is imminent) I was just a kid, 14 at the time when the season reopened. I have seen many good seasons and many bad season go by but none as devastating to the fishery as now with what is going on in NC and here in our own waters. I know there is a lot of talk about placing the game fish status on striped bass , I myself am getting tired of all the wasted kill that is going on and i am leaning in that direction or even back to the moratorium.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No need to start a petition.........just get the legit watermen to beat the everlivin' $h!t out of the poachers that they know.........and then beat the pi$$ out of them a few weeks later for good measure.
That is not going to happen,they are a tight nit group and will not police themselves.There are many hard working waterman who will suffer if these bad apples aren't weeded out.Hook and line is the future with a total ban on nets,it is just a matter of how soon.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
We have a complete net ban in Florida, go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts