Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are fishing east side near bridge and have side scan - might want to keep eye on it for the body of missing boater.

As of Tuesday 5 pm - he has still not been found. He was last seen about 1 mile north of the bridge on Sunday. Currents have been strong due to full moon on Weds ( 1st ) and he might have drifted some distance - or be close to where last seen.

Bodies drift around in odd ways sometimes.

I'm thinking he might be caught on the boulders that are over the sewer pipe.

I've dove this site and it is very similar to the jetty at Sandy point - big boulders with wide crevices that could snag an arm or leg of a body. There is also a lot of line on it to tangle a body in.

The natural police were out with a side scan but can only search so much water. Helicopter flies by now / then - my guess hoping warm water bloats the body and he comes to surface.

The family surely is heart broken - getting him back soon might ease some of their grief.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass. But what would it look like? Unless he was lying directly on the bottom (like rocks, tires,boulders) my unit wouldn't show an outline of a body. If he's caught up in the sewer pipe or a piling and half submerged (and partially bloated); wouldn't he show up as a huge arch?
I remember on Greg's boat off OC in January, we saw whales and huge arches on the screen.

I know this sounds morbid, but really; what would a body look like on sidescan/downscan?
5th

·
Premium Member
26,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bear with me as I've only had side scan since late April - but I'll assume ( I know ) a body will show very well.

I've spotted tires clearly as well as other items much smaller than average size person. Last week saw a ladder next to a piling well enough to count each rung on it.

Next week I plan to have a friend go over top of me while I dive with side scan running - just to see how well it shows me at 25 to 30 feet down.

There is a volunteer group in the south that has used side scans to find bodies - one body found was related to someone in NFL. Think it was in Mississippi river.

Even though I'm new to side scan - easy to see a unit dialed in correctly should show a body clearly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After a few days a body will surface. Not to be morbid here - but I did find one floating off Love Point a few years back.

Look for a 'bubble' on the surface the will resemble an elongated flat balloon (this will be the torso). The limbs spread out, but hang just below the surface sometimes bobbing but not visible from a distance. The head sinks and is not visible until you get on top and circle, this makes it easy to overlook the object as something it is not. The bubble will be the color whatever shirt is on the body.

Believe it or not, it was hard to spot and identify even on a flat calm day - certainly easy to overlook in any chop.

Still hoping for a rescue but wanted to share.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bear with me as I've only had side scan since late April - but I'll assume ( I know ) a body will show very well.

I've spotted tires clearly as well as other items much smaller than average size person. Last week saw a ladder next to a piling well enough to count each rung on it.

Next week I plan to have a friend go over top of me while I dive with side scan running - just to see how well it shows me at 25 to 30 feet down.

There is a volunteer group in the south that has used side scans to find bodies - one body found was related to someone in NFL. Think it was in Mississippi river.

Even though I'm new to side scan - easy to see a unit dialed in correctly should show a body clearly.
Skip, that is true. You can pretty easily find some side scan shots that show the detail of the BB Pilings or the outline of an old bridge. The one that convinces me this is possible is there is a side scan shot I can't find right now that has a dolphin on the depth finder clear as day. The dolphin was following the boat for the release of a redfish.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'd have to agree that it can be fairly easy to discern at least with optimum conditions. Can't say for sure what the major variables would be, but boat speed and distance from the boat, including water depth wou;d likely rank high on the critical elements list. I have visualized a tire sticking out of the mud in shallow water (5') so well that if the detail had been any better I probably could have read the tire size off of the sidewall. I can also easily identify square concrete supports in the rubble on a reef near Poole's Island. This is with a Lowrance unit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"MD NRP ‏@MDNRPolice now3 seconds ago
NRP officers recover body of Silver Spring boater near Rock Hall. Missing since Sunday mishap off Kent Island."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts