Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HB150 and HB 151 go up in front of the house sub-committee at 4:00 tomorrow. I just got the call that their counterparts will go in front the senate committee which will begin around 2:30. I hope that we have enough people in attendance that will be able to cover both rooms. I won't be on here constantly but if you need to get ahold of me my email is below. We all spend a lot of time riding to the fishing grounds in a boat, a 2 hour ride to richmond should not be a big deal!!!!

PLEASE MAKE THE DRIVE SO WE CAN GET THIS DONE! OR ATEAST MAKE A GOOD SHOWING, IF IT DOES NOT GET OUT OF COMMITTEE WE WILL SHOW THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE AND THE SPEECHES GIVEN TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES!!! I HAVE ALL THE INFO ON WHO RECEIVED HOW MUCH MONEY ALREADY PUT TOGETHER. PLEASE SHOW AS THE MORE PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE SHOWS JUST HOW CORRUPT THINGS ARE IF THE BILLS DIE IN COMMITTEE I HOPE WE HAVE MORE PEOPLE THAN OMEGA SO THERE IS NO WAY FOR THEM TO SAY OH, NO ONE SHOWED UP TO DEFEND THE BILLS.

Thanks,
Steven Epstein
[email protected]

·
Registered
884 Posts
Anybody from the southside interested in meeting up at the Lake wright quality inn or oceans east on Northampton near 64 on Thursday to carpool? Around noon should be a good time. Let me know. 757-five three six - 6682

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I will be there. I have some family visiting from out of town so my car is full already we will spend the day in Richmond. A note this morning from Del Knight.

Menhaden Bill in Subcommittee

HB150 & HB151 meeting location has changed to House Room 1 located in the Capitol Building and the time is now at 4:30 PM. The updated information for the Chesapeake Subcommittee is below.

Thursday, January 28th
Capitol Square
Intersection of 9th Street & E Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia

Chesapeake Subcommittee
Capitol of the Commonwealth
4:30 PM, House Room 1, Capitol

Reserved Meeting Room Prior to Subcommittee
General Assembly Building
4th Floor West Conference Room
available 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

If you are arriving early to the General Assembly Building we will probably head over to the Capitol at 3:30 PM to exit from the General Assembly Building and walk to the Capitol Building to go through security. Here is a map of the capitol.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/140f08aa001/992ba62e-37d3-495c-ab7b-8e877c16f70d.pdf

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Senate committee will meet around 230 245. The meeting was pushed back thirty minutes in hopes we can make it to both meetings. There is plenty of room in the capital that being early to make sure we get in should not be an issue. Senate room B is on the first floor of the GA building.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I plan on attending. If anyone wants to meet at Rapppahanock Oyster I think I am gonna grab lunch there! Real close to the Capital.

35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great. We have a serious chance to get this to the house floor... Pogge and Torian need some work. Ransone who is involved in menhaden fishing looks like she will be recused(not allowed to vote). Can't wait to see how things go tomorrow. Below is email addresses and an email to copy and paste.
steven
Chesapeakebaydefensefoundation.com

Everyone has done a great job emailing their Delegates but we need to make a final push. I want these delegates to ask me to stop asking people to email them when I talk to them tomorrow, or better yet I want to hear them say someone stopped by to talk to me about this earlier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
The Virginia Pilot ran a quote from an Omega spokesman who was talking about their regulation. ""We'd prefer there be 140 sets of eyes at the General Assembly who would look at it from all walks of life" by it he was talking about the regulation of the menhaden industry.
The Bay Defense Foundation wants to see 140 sets of eyes make these decisions as well, Omegas objection to the fishery being transferred to VMRC is because the board of 9 at VMRC is too small... if this bill dies here before it reaches the floor only a small fraction of the 140 members of the general assembly would see it. That is why this bill must make it out of committee.
HB 151
Moving the Reduction industry 3 miles off the shore in Virginia beach and creating a 1 mile buffer from shore in the Chesapeake bay does four things.
1. Creates a zone for the menhaden to migrate in and out of the largest estuary on the east coast. Often times they fish move in large schools just off the beach and often times Omega fishes just half a mile from our beaches.
2. When the purse seine boats fish they suck water in with a vacuum along with the fish. These fish are sucked out of the water and then passed over a dewatering device. Even Omega Representative have openly admitted there is fish slime blood and scales being dumped over the side of the boat during this process. Pushing them one mile off our beach will keep the slurry from washing up on our beaches and the three miles will further protect the tourist industry at our oceanfront.
3. Recreational fishermen and charter fishing. Recreational fishermen and charter fishermen contribute to the economy greatly. More bait = more fish, more fish equal hotel rooms, fishing charters, trips to bass pro shops, higher waterfront property values, more boat sales, more ice sales, more gas sales, more beer sales and more tourists. It also increases the quality of living for those around the bay.
4. The purse seine boats will be forced into deeper water so there will be less net tears like the one that happened in October and washed 75,000 pounds of dead fish onto the beaches in the easter shore. Many of which were inaccessible for cleanup or home to an endangered species which made clean up difficult.
HB150
The bill to transfer the fishery to the VMRC will put the fishery in the hands of the organization that handles all other fisheries. Menhaden is the only fishery in Virginia managed by the General assembly. The VMRC was created to manage Virginia's fisheries. In order to effectively do so they need to manage all of the fisheries.
The Virginia Pilot ran a quote from an Omega spokesman who was talking about their regulation. ""We'd prefer there be 140 sets of eyes at the General Assembly who would look at it from all walks of life" by it he was talking about the regulation of the menhaden industry.
The Bay Defense Foundation wants to see 140 sets of eyes make these decisions as well, Omegas objection to the fishery being transferred to VMRC is because the board of 9 at VMRC is too small... if this bill dies here before it reaches the floor only a small fraction of the 140 members of the general assembly would see it. That is why this bill must make it out of committee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts