Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever this a$$HAT was needs to lose his or her job. I have had run ins with the NRP on 3 different occasions where they overstepped their authority or in one case their jurisdiction. (checked my catch on the water inside Virginia, I never went into MD waters) If this story is true, and I have no reason to think it's not, this officer doesn't qualify to be dog catcher.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/...face-fine-after-rescuing-deer-from-icy-water/

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Something does not read right in all of this.

No specific violation was mentioned ???? - then how do they know what is the citation for ????

I'm thinking there is more to this story then reported.

·
Registered
561 Posts
LOL,Most cops are cut from the same cloth,I had a friend that was MSP for 12 years and worked undercover drug ops the last 4 then just quit one day.He told me he couldnt deal with his fellow officers anymore due to the fact that they were mostly zealots.I have always felt that way about cops and most dealings I have had with them proves the point.NRP seems to have some real cocky d#@#$bags.A few years ago an outfitter I have hunted with was hit with 11 charges stemming from a hunt I was on with him and an undercover NRP officer.It was a huge case of entrapment not to mention the cop was driving a state truck way way drunk and smoking dope with some other guy before we went on the scariest ride of my life.The cop included my name as a witness on 4 of the charging docs HAHA.I COULDNT WAIT to get called as a witness,but the state decided against prosecuting the case.I figure they wanted to save the NRP some embarassment.So for all you fellas that preach more enforcement and tougher penalties carefull what you wish and who you wish to give those powers to because one day it just may be you dealing with a zealot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with 27 Sailfish.......I hope there is more to the story then is being reported. If there is not more to the story thats why we have Judges to sift thru the facts and come to a reasonable decision under the guidlines of the law and common sense. As far as for shaddart 2004, dont believe everything your friend tells you. I have been in Law enforcement for 26 years and nobody after 12 years on the job quits and says they did it because they were tired of there co workers work ethics.........I would venture to say he was let go and fired for some reason or another that he is not telling you.....Also....its one thing to have your views on law enforcement officers and to group them all as the same...... but its another to post your views public......Its pretty sad that you think this way. I have dealt with people from all walks of life. Some Rich....some poor.....Many people are good citizens who just make mistakes and sometimes we as law enforcement have to get involved whether we want to or not .....After 26 years, I can honestly say I have never thrown everyone in the same basket and stereo type them all.......

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
I am certain that there is more to the story. It might have been that NRP cited them for endangering their lives to save a deer. Hardly worth it. The story will come out but any police officer can charge any one with anything but the courts decide if it was just. Just like any one can sue any one. As for shaddarts comments, being retired law enforcement..........I won't comment...........Gary

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am so sorry for not coming to your party. By the time we got done fishing.....cleaning fish and getting home I was beat!.....Tell Miss Sandy I will make it up to her!!......PLEASE......She cant cut me off that fantastic breakfeast....Man...that was good stuff!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that is the reason, then the NRP officer had a duty to inform them they were breaking the law, but I don't think it's illegal to endanger your own life if you are not doing anything illegal. If that was the case, bungee jumpers and skydivers would be in court constantly. I am interested to see the outcome of this case. I may journey down to Ol Assapolis on that day to see the results. From the look of the citation there is no specific infraction checked off. I wonder if it was written because they were in possession of a live deer? (against the law in Maryland without a permit) That would pretty much prove my A$$HAT comment.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,301 Posts
Well ......... it was on the news last night ......... seemed the reporters were puzzled to ......... they even showed the citation that had no reason for the citation checked and a $90 fine ......... it will be thrown out of court on that alone ........ shame someone doing a good deed has to take time off of work to go to court and maybe spend money on a lawyer for this sloppy DNR work ....... guess no good deed goes unpunished

This DNR officer has created a PR problem for a good agency .......... while I'm always respectful of the law, courts and police and fully support them, there are officers that are good cops and ones that are bad cops ....... and I have a couple of friends that are cops ........... My father worked in the police radio shop for years and I heard the stories they told while picking up or waiting for their radios the times I went with him ......... but I've never seen an officer that didn't fully support the other officers no matter the circumstances .......... including my father

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
It is a different story for sure but the NRP Officer was still a prick for citing them. This was not a normal situation where the guys plan a trip out on a raft and check all of their safety equipment in advance. His ego was probably damaged about $90 and I applaud their actions. There is folllowing the letter of the law and doing the right thing. In this case, he should have cut these guys a break.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Maybe they didn't have a permit? from COMAR :

.11 Deer Cooperator Permit.
A. Scope. A deer cooperator permit issued by the Service allows the permittee to conduct deer removal and handling operations. The fee to apply for this permit is $100. A permit expires 1 year from the date it is issued. If the Service does not issue the permit, the fee shall be refunded.

B. The requirements of this chapter are in addition to any requirements imposed by any other agency of State, federal, or local government relating to the:

(1) Possession or transportation of deer;

(2) Possession of drugs for anesthetizing deer; or

(3) Delivery of anesthetizing drugs to deer.

C. Qualifications for a Deer Cooperator Permit.

(1) An individual may not apply for a deer cooperator permit if the individual has been convicted of any State or federal natural resources violation within 5 years at the time of the application.

(2) An individual applying for a deer cooperator permit shall successfully complete a written examination administered by the Service.

(3) The written examination for a deer cooperator permit shall contain questions relating to:

(a) Deer ecology;

(b) Deer conflicts with humans;

(c) Lethal and nonlethal deer management alternatives;

(d) Current statutes and regulations pertaining to wildlife, weapon, and equipment details;

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those guys are lucky they weren't charged with 'Failure to Obey a Lawful Order' for going out without PFD's, if NRP told them not to. The officer had every legal right to physically arrest them if an order was given and they refused. If one of them had drowned trying to rescue the deer and it came out the officer could have prevented it, said officer would have some serious explaining to do, not to mention the probable lawsuits against him and the Dept. BTW - At least one of these guys will feel very comfortable in a court room. Just my opinion, but judging from the one guy's history, this officer was probably given a load of **** at the scene, as well. I think he was very retrained in just issuing a PFD citation. Don't always believe the slant the self-serving media puts on in these newscasts.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wow - so much MIS information here it isn't funny......

If that is the reason, then the NRP officer had a duty to inform them they were breaking the law,
Since when? Ignorance of the Law is no excuse.

..... they even showed the citation that had no reason for the citation checked and a $90 fine ......... it will be thrown out of court on that alone .......
You do know that everything on the Defendant's copy of the citation is made from the carbon paper backing, right? The court copy is the only one that is actually written on, right?

It is a different story for sure but the NRP Officer was still a prick for citing them. This was not a normal situation where the guys plan a trip out on a raft and check all of their safety equipment in advance. His ego was probably damaged about $90 and I applaud their actions. There is folllowing the letter of the law and doing the right thing. In this case, he should have cut these guys a break.
Hey Jim the Md Judiciary Case Search will tell you alot about someone................(Khalil Abusakran)........seems he was "involved" in a situation about 13 years ago (among others - this is not his first charge) where the Fire Dept was apparently involved and he was interfering.......kinda sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If the two rescuers get into trouble then NRP and the fire dept have to possibley endanger their lives to save them. It sounds like the officer was attempting to give them a lesser fine since their good deed was successfull. Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.