Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CCA, MSSA, RFA and TF all have a massive amount of support and money.

Why don't they combine all of their economic support for 2011, make all tournaments a supporting charity event and purchase every commercial gill netting fishing license that they can get?

Then we won't have to waste money lobbying for the end of gill nets.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The CCA, MSSA, RFA and TF all have a massive amount of support and money.

Why don't they combine all of their economic support for 2011, make all tournaments a supporting charity event and purchase every commercial gill netting fishing license that they can get?

Then we won't have to waste money lobbying for the end of gill nets.
Kevin - If they were successful in purchasing (and then not utilizing) all those licenses I can see how it would stop "Legal Gill Netting" , but how do you propose that this effort would stop "Illegal Gill Netting"?

You see Maryland made it against the Law to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. I wonder why Homicides by Shooting did not stop? We have had very few Homicides committed by someone with a legal right to concealed carry....but we have had some......probably 1%.....sound familiar?

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
I think the gill netters get a certain quota - in pounds of Rockfish.

Roughly 200 are licensed to use gill nets. It is not an equal share per boat . One boat might bring in limits every day while others only get a few fish.

Once enough pounds are checked in - season closes. One reason some set illegal nets early. They get a jump on everyone else.

Buying a gill net license would not help - quota is still the same.

Only way it would work would be to reduce quota by X number of pounds per license bought. Guess the quota could be divided by 200 to get a rough number.

One day it may come down to some type of buy out. A Rockfish stamp could fund it. Guys who want to catch them would have to pay.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin - If they were successful in purchasing (and then not utilizing) all those licenses I can see how it would stop "Legal Gill Netting" , but how do you propose that this effort would stop "Illegal Gill Netting"?

You see Maryland made it against the Law to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. I wonder why Homicides by Shooting did not stop? We have had very few Homicides committed by someone with a legal right to concealed carry....but we have had some......probably 1%.....sound familiar?
Stopping any illegal act is difficult because the actor already has the upper hand, however leveling the playing field changes the outcome. If we could buy up all the gill netting licenses, no one other than criminals would be gill netting.

27 Sailfish
Why would we care if the quota remained unfilled? Couldn't the Dnr simply ask the ASMFC to reallocate all the quota to conservation?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
If it were illegal to sell, buy, transport or use gill nets in MD, the criminals would have a tougher time gill netting illegally. I am sure there are various degrees on criminal gill netters. The extreme hard core may not stop, but I think most would. The NRP would have a much smaller group of criminals to deal with and there would be far fewer fish netted illegally. The few hard core criminal netters could be tracked in many different ways. I do not believe MD has to put up with this every winter.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Even in these severe economic times, it would not be difficult to raise the money for a gill net buy out. Criminals need not apply. Where do I send my check?<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Stopping any illegal act is difficult because the actor already has the upper hand, however leveling the playing field changes the outcome. If we could buy up all the gill netting licenses, no one other than criminals would be gill netting.

27 Sailfish
Why
OK - that's pretty much what they have done with Guns, so why haven't the murders stopped? Other then Police or Permit holders (Very few of which have committed murders) only criminals are carrying guns....but it hasn't stopped anything, has it?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
It's almost impossible to get a conceal/carry permit in this State. Democrats don't trust law abiding citizens

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK - that's pretty much what they have done with Guns, so why haven't the murders stopped? Other then Police or Permit holders (Very few of which have committed murders) only criminals are carrying guns....but it hasn't stopped anything, has it?
I agree with you on the gun aspect, However people pulling gill nets out of the water would be alot easier to spot through my binos than some thug carrying a concealed weapon in a city of millions.

Since I'm talking about it, Do you really think the police are eager to stop drug dealers from killing one another? I feel deep sympathy and empathy for the families of the innocents lost as a result of weapons violence so please do not think I am heartless by stating what I feel.

The topics while similar are vastly different. Wild Bill and I can buy atleast one each, according to 27Sailfish we only need 198 more people willing.

Time to start a revolution. The powerful many set back quietly as the few run our lives.

""The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

I am willing, who among you will lead us?

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
C hawk - 18 Gun laws and fishery laws are like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe in a distance way related.

Kgladhill - I guess the quota could be moved / set off limits. The netters quota is a big chunk. Never seemed right 200 or so are allowed so many fish.

I been saying for years how big an impact poaching has up / down the coast on the Rockfish population.
It's not just a few fish being stolen. Sadly - the law abiding comm. and rec. fishermen often suffer.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
27 Sailfish
Why would we care if the quota remained unfilled?
If we did not fill our commercial quota here in the Chesapeake Bay then another state would motion to raise their commercial harvest limit to fill that missing poundage gap. If they aren't killed here in MD they would be killed in another state. Not sure if that's any better.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Dave-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
It is true that that was always the comm argument in the past. We better grab ours because someone else will get it. Not sure that will always true with the current and future climate. It may be possible to do something truly amazing and just kill less fish. Perhaps we need some new thinking. There is concern from Maine to South Carolina about the striper population--certainly not by all but by a larger number of people all the time.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Good comment Bill. What is the relationship between MD DNR and the other coastal states with respect to determining annual quotas and regulations?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Bill,

I hope you would be right. I would love to see us do away with nets but if another state was able to increase their harvest because of it, I'm not sure that would help. Why can't these fish be regulated on a federal level? Would it just be too complicated?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Good comment Bill. What is the relationship between MD DNR and the other coastal states with respect to determining annual quotas and regulations?
There are certainly people on here who can answer better than I. MD has three appointed commissioners on the AFMSC--from memory I would say Bill Goldsborough, scientist for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Tom O'Connell from the MD DNR and Senator Richard Colburn. They each have a vote like the commissioners from other states. Rec and comm quotas are set at that level. The states may be able to shift some of the comm quotas for different gear types. MD cannot just decide how many fish they are going to kill. It is an ASMFC decision.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I am on thin ice here. Someone who knows the system better should chime in.

This link should show you all the commissioners.

http://www.asmfc.org/

Member states are Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Each is represented by three Commissioners: the director for the state's marine fisheries management agency, a state legislator, and an individual appointed by the governor.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also on thin ice, but I think ASMFC determines each state's allotment. It is up to each individual state to determine who gets to catch how much and by what methods.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
If you spend some time looking at the ASMFC commissioners, you find some very interesting stuff. John V. O'Shea is the Executive Director of the whole shooting match at ASMFC. He is the guy who made that video extolling the virtues of Omega Protein. Louis Daniel is the Director of Marine Fisheries in NC (who sets the rules for the trawlers) and everything fishy in NC. Tom Colburn is the Cambridge Senator who seems to take the side of the gill net poachers. Is it any wonder that we get some strange stuff from the ASMFC?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It's a complicatd issue but if you look at a list of all the negatives of banning nets, and positives of banning nets, I think the positives outweight the negatives.

And no, it won't stop poaching or illegial netting totally, but you can't argue with the success of every other state or region that has done it. I just watched the fly fishing movie Drift, and they even talked about the success of banning nets in that movie. I would say that there's enough of a precident set to say that when nets are banned, fisheries improve.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Francis - Those nice Yellow Perch you caught recently are proof of what a net ban could do.

Yellow Perch used to be netted so heavily ( legal and poached ) that few were caught by anglers.

New limits were put in place for nets and in 5-6 years - Yellow Perch are coming back strong.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts