Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So killing time with some old Susquehanna River smallmouth pictures and what I caught them on and how. This is back in the days when people eat the fish they caught. The first picture is of me. I had a friend with me in my boat that day. All these bass were caught with 3/8th Doll Fly jigs in yellow or black. All caught under the RT 40 bridge Perryville side near shore pilings. View attachment 185146 All these fish were caught from the B&O railroad bridge to the RT 40 bridge, most caught trolling different size brown, and shad colored Bomber deep diving lures that got down to about 15'. Best months for the smallmouths for me was April, then Oct. Nov. I don't know if it would still work, but I use to call the Conawingo Power Plant to ask what time are you going to open the gates at the dam. I learned that if I was at the RT 40 bridge spot just as the water started moving, the smallmouth would hit my Doll fly lures real good for maybe an hour. Then it was over. WOW, I never told any one that before. Man I miss them days. I still dream about it now and then. Enjoy the pictures. View attachment 185154 View attachment 185162 View attachment 185170 Also did really good with largemouth bass.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Very nice Andy...I too am one that loves to reminisce. Nobody had much money but life sure seemed a lot better then...I dunno.
Thanks for sharing the info & cool photos :thumbup:

Mike

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, that picture with me holding that smallmouth with a cigg in my mouth was the largest smallmouth caught in MD. that year. I did it two years in a row. I bet there are Condo's on both sides of the river now. Haven't been up there in about 30 years. Probably would break my hart to see it now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That one is a huge small mouth. You probably wouldn't know the place now although the area right around the Rt. 40 and the B&O bridge have not changed all that much. Owens is built up with condos now and so is Port Deposit where Willey's (sp?) was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts