Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting encounter Saturday with an ornery crabber. I was heading into the creek at about 7 knots and A guy and his girl were running about 30 crab traps right in the narrow dug channel leading into my creek.

Ecoregion White Map Nature Azure

Now I'm will to work with folks who crab - I crab all the time myself. I'm happy to dodge em as needed. But he had 'em set up though where there was little good choice to enter the creek. Red dots are traps. Yellow rectangle is his boat.

Product Organism Material property Pattern Art

Now, knowing a little bit about the creek, I figured I could run up the right side a bit, where i KNEW i HAD ENOUGH WATER FOR MY 5 FOOT DRAFT. Remarkably, this guy sees me coming and moves directly in front of my boat. I had little choice at this point but to thread the needle through the traps. I reduced throttle...

Map Art Font Pattern Creative arts

I steered about 10 degrees to port to thread the needle, and he was MUCH closer now. Looking right at me, he gunned it to block my progress. I chopped the throttle and turned 90 degrees to avoid the collision that he seemingly wished to precipitate. He rolled into a slurred tirade that would make a sailor blush about us driving through his traps. Apparently we had the "whole g-damn bay" and we had to "go through his effing pots!" This was just wonderful for the 6 kids and several shocked parents I had on board. His embarrassed wife/girlfriend averted her eyes and said nothing.

Organism Gesture Art Font Pattern

I managed to get around him, through his floats and we continued up the creek. I apologized to my guests. Subsequent discussions with the neighbors reveal they've had similar encounters with this clown. Typically a drunken tirade or him passed out in his boat while it drifts into their pier or something.

I'd like to fix his wagon, but was unsure how to proceed. Would DNR respond to something like this? And I sure don't want any retribution against my property by someone this unstable. I'm guessing he was about 30 and a very angry young man.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Are there any "float free" markers by your creek? If so then call DNR. It is worth calling DNR anyway based on the actions he took.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
It is against the law to operate a boat while drunk - just like a car / truck.

Concerned call to DNR might help - especially if as others state , this has happened before.

Heck , if he is messed up - maybe he thinks his traps are in a straight line.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2015/09/08/nrp-logs-busy-labor-day-weekend-with-rescues-and-arrests/

Chris,

I would be very pissed if that happened to me. You and your neighbors should consider complaining to MD DNR police and raising concerns about an established _pattern_ of impaired boating, profanity, and him intentionally interfering with navigation in a confrontational manner.

Its unfortunate that bad crabber did not get swept up in the MD DNR Police holiday weekend law enforcement actions.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Now that I know what creek it is, maybe I'll take a cruise in there from time to time. I have no problem boarding his boat and explaining crabbing etiquette in a way that he may understand.

·
Registered
281 Posts
We had a similar issue with a local rec crabber on the magothy. Call DNR with detailas and description etc.
They will followup and resolve the issue. In our case they continually cked the guy for infractions. We seldom see the guy in our area now.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Ah, yes. "Angry Man". We've encountered him off and on ever since we started going on fish/camp trips. Usually in a wife beater shirt, buncha empty cans rolling around in the bottom of the boat, sunburnt scarlet(he seems to come out on only the hottest and most wind-less of days), with a terrified child or girlfriend up in the bow of his boat. More times than not the engine cover is off, indicating engine issues are adding to his list of misery. Sometimes he's vocal, sometimes he just hunkers in that boat and glares. Sounds like you have perfect reason to call DNR and/or the State police, they can discretely observe the guy from your place and might carry more weight with getting a marine based unit on scene. If he is in fact drunk they will take him away in handcuffs.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree - contact the DNR and provide as many details as possible and pictures if you can. Seems like this year there are more and more drunks and careless pleasure boat operators then ever especially up my way where there are numerous waterfront bars and restaurants. Think back to the Spring of this year when there were several drownings and other boating accidents on the Susquehanna River, the Flats, and around Baltimore Harbor.

All of my experiences this year with DNR Marine Police have been positive AND... I'm glad to be checked!

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Ah, yes. "Angry Man". We've encountered him off and on ever since we started going on fish/camp trips. Usually in a wife beater shirt, buncha empty cans rolling around in the bottom of the boat, sunburnt scarlet(he seems to come out on only the hottest and most wind-less of days), with a terrified child or girlfriend up in the bow of his boat. More times than not the engine cover is off, indicating engine issues are adding to his list of misery. Sometimes he's vocal, sometimes he just hunkers in that boat and glares. Sounds like you have perfect reason to call DNR and/or the State police, they can discretely observe the guy from your place and might carry more weight with getting a marine based unit on scene. If he is in fact drunk they will take him away in handcuffs.
Pat in Joppa
Way to stereotype Pat. One of your pet peeves.........Gary

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
You got to call DNR on this jerk. Also can you copy this whole post and mail to DNR. Did he have a number on his boat? You did the right thing by just going on your way. A lot of crazy people out there.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had an interesting encounter Saturday with an ornery crabber. I was heading into the creek at about 7 knots and A guy and his girl were running about 30 crab traps right in the narrow dug channel leading into my creek.

View attachment 179346

Now I'm will to work with folks who crab

Guy sounds like butt head. Not sure if he broke the the law or not but that's a great power point presentation!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts