Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend caught a rockfish 24 miles up river from a dam that was recently breached - first I've heard that far upriver. We also caught 2 channel catfish which I've never seen above the dam. Good 2 days on the river with a 22" smallmouth bonus still full of eggs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wonder if he is referring to the striper I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP845618512&id=17034

--Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do care and I wish folks wouldn't share location information when it refers to a river so small you can cast across it. The bay and lower estuary sections of many VA rivers are huge areas so talking about them ain't so bad. But small resources can't handle the increase in visits all the publicity on the web brings. Eventually the fishing will suffer. The last thing that water up there needs is more fishing pressure.

Stripers that far up will be few and far between.

·
Registered
556 Posts
thanks for the post. great information. It's good to hear these success stories. Hopefully we will see some of the same in the near future on the upper James.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[Q]gmoney originally wrote:
A friend caught a rockfish 24 miles up river from a dam that was recently breached - first I've heard that far upriver. We also caught 2 channel catfish which I've never seen above the dam. Good 2 days on the river with a 22" smallmouth bonus still full of eggs.

[/Q]

Cool! I know exactly were that is. I have a bus full of friends coming into town this weekend and they want to go fishing. I think I will take them to the upper rap. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool! I know exactly were that is. I have a bus full of friends coming into town this weekend and they want to go fishing. I think I will take them to the upper rap. Thanks for the tip!
[/Q]
mwahahaha, good one!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually it is good news to hear that fish are moving up stream. Before you know it we will have all sorts of fish spawning upstream like before the dams were built. More game fish and bait fish means more fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[Q]gmoney originally wrote:
24 miles up river from a dam that was recently breached [/Q]

No names named, but anyone with a map can figure out about exactly where the fish was caught. It's not like that recent dam breaching was a big secret, unless you are talking about a striper that far upstream from McGackesville Dam on a river further west.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[Q]bassmanpete originally wrote:
I do care and I wish folks wouldn't share location information when it refers to a river so small you can cast across it. The bay and lower estuary sections of many VA rivers are huge areas so talking about them ain't so bad. But small resources can't handle the increase in visits all the publicity on the web brings. Eventually the fishing will suffer. The last thing that water up there needs is more fishing pressure.

Stripers that far up will be few and far between.
[/Q]

Yeah...That's right!! I mean why the hell would you share fishing info on a dam fishing board. GEEEZZZ What the hell are some people thinking?!?!?! Giving possible locations of where fish might be caught? DAMMM imagine the concept!! possibly helping out someone... Because nobody has ever been told of a spot to hit, everybody in the world went out and found every spot by themselves. A fishing board is supposed to keep everything secret. What is the purpose of a fishing board?!? Tips? hints? locations?, naw hoo wuda thunk?!?!?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[q] No names named, but anyone with a map can figure out about exactly where the fish was caught. It's not like that recent dam breaching was a big secret, unless you are talking about a striper that far upstream from McGackesville Dam on a river further west.
[/q]

You're a donkey. The information was meant to inform anyone who is ALREADY familiar w/ the river. Mr. Joe Shmoe shouldn't stumble upon the "super vague" report and say, "Hmmmm, lets go to the super secret spot I saw on TF.

Whatever dork...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
P.S. wasn't that the purpose when they blew the dam, to give more spawning grounds, I am glad to hear it seems to be working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[Q]
Yeah...That's right!! I mean why the hell would you share fishing info on a dam fishing board. GEEEZZZ What the hell are some people thinking?!?!?! Giving possible locations of where fish might be caught? DAMMM imagine the concept!! possibly helping out someone... Because nobody has ever been told of a spot to hit, everybody in the world went out and found every spot by themselves. A fishing board is supposed to keep everything secret. What is the purpose of a fishing board?!? Tips? hints? locations?, naw hoo wuda thunk?!?!?!
[/Q]

Doesn't take a very skilled fisherman to catch fish in some location you read about online or were told about in the baitshop. Techniques and how to information is far more important than location anyway, cause you can be in the best spot on the river and be a clueless wonder and not catch the fish sittin under your boat sometimes. I'd much rather guys focus on HOW they catch the fish, than the WHERE. If you have a map, GPS, depth finder, and a bit of knowledge of fish behavior you can find the fish. Heck, I smallie fish most of the time because they are so easy to find in the river.

Gmoney, maybe you aren't the same Gmoney over on RS.com who used to absolutely ridicule folks who posted too detailed info on the Doah? I am a Democrat and damn proud of it, so thank you for understanding.

Last point. Saltwater, brackish estuary river water, and lots of lakes are all big water with lots of space and places to find fish. That habitat and environment is VERY different from the stretch of river referred to. It is a small stream barely wide enough to turn a canoe in some spots. Fishing pressure matters more on smaller bodies of water than on larger ones. Smallmouth rivers are a delicate balance in the best of conditions, and most are nowhere near as productive waters as the Doah used to be.

Someone asked me on a striper post I made where I was catching them. I never replied. I'm more than willing to help about anyone who asks, but not the entire friggin WWW. This is the internet. Last thing I want is a crowd of meathogs showin up and takin home big fish in coolers from places I enjoy C&R fishing. I've seen it happen on places that got too much publicity. It'll happen again too.

Come fish with me, and you know what I know. Send me a PM or email and I will be more forthcoming than on a public board. Gosh knows I owe a few guys favors for the help they gave me, but all I am saying is choose who you help wisely. Too much information can be a dangerous thing in certain hands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
WOW! Thanks for the info! You wouldn't happen to have GPS coordinates would ya? I have a fish fry coming up with about 80 people to feed and this sounds like just the place to catch my eaters! I hope my limblines and gill nets don't take up too much space, I mean afterall I want all of my buddies to be able to set up there too![grin][grin]

·
Registered
21 Posts
[Q]bassmanpete originally wrote:

Doesn't take a very skilled fisherman to catch fish in some location you read about online or were told about in the baitshop. Techniques and how to information is far more important than location anyway, cause you can be in the best spot on the river and be a clueless wonder and not catch the fish sittin under your boat sometimes. I'd much rather guys focus on HOW they catch the fish, than the WHERE. If you have a map, GPS, depth finder, and a bit of knowledge of fish behavior you can find the fish. Heck, I smallie fish most of the time because they are so easy to find in the river.

Gmoney, maybe you aren't the same Gmoney over on RS.com who used to absolutely ridicule folks who posted too detailed info on the Doah? I am a Democrat and damn proud of it, so thank you for understanding.

Last point. Saltwater, brackish estuary river water, and lots of lakes are all big water with lots of space and places to find fish. That habitat and environment is VERY different from the stretch of river referred to. It is a small stream barely wide enough to turn a canoe in some spots. Fishing pressure matters more on smaller bodies of water than on larger ones. Smallmouth rivers are a delicate balance in the best of conditions, and most are nowhere near as productive waters as the Doah used to be.

Someone asked me on a striper post I made where I was catching them. I never replied. I'm more than willing to help about anyone who asks, but not the entire friggin WWW. This is the internet. Last thing I want is a crowd of meathogs showin up and takin home big fish in coolers from places I enjoy C&R fishing. I've seen it happen on places that got too much publicity. It'll happen again too.

Come fish with me, and you know what I know. Send me a PM or email and I will be more forthcoming than on a public board. Gosh knows I owe a few guys favors for the help they gave me, but all I am saying is choose who you help wisely. Too much information can be a dangerous thing in certain hands.
[/Q]

What's the point of fishing reports if you are going to be extremely vague? I'm not saying one needs to post the stretch of river fished, but I don't think it hurts to mention the specific river where the fish were caught. I know that part of the reason for fishing reports is to indicate how fish are caught (i.e., patterns, lures used), but these things are constantly changing. If people are not willing to even mention the geographical area they were fishing, and I've seen posts where the state wasn't even mentioned, then reports serve absolutely no purpose and they should be removed from the forum altogether. If people aren't willing to give ANY specifics as to location, then fishin reports are nothing more than a "bragging board" for people who think they are superior fisherman....these donkeys need to get a life. And let's be honest....those "meathogs" don't have the skills or intelligence to catch big fish anyway.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts