Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about the 5 fishermen who were rescued from a sinking boat off Thomas Point. Report says they were transported to Sandy Point - about 6 miles north. Had to be a tough ride in those winds.

Hopefully a good reason why this port was chosen - rather then going only about 1 mile to Fishing Creek - behind Thomas Point light. Coast Guard has a station there.

It might be a good idea to take time and look at a chart to see where other ports are - in case of an emergency or storm. Often , storms on the bay come from the west. There are a few ports on eastern side ( Kent Island ) that are great for riding out a storm - rather then going through it. Thing is- most are tough to find unless you know where they are.

Farther down the bay - from Breezy Point to Solomons , it is a long stretch of water. There is a port on both shores though - Flag Harbor about 2 miles north of CCNPP and on east side - Taylor's Island - almost due east of CCNPP.

Good spots to know if you are in trouble or there is a medical emergency on your boat. Never hurts to take time and explore the entrance of other ports so you know how to go into them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
there was a pontoon boat that flip just north of bloody point around 8 or 8:30 this morning 3 people pulled from water by other boat i was at thomas point and no 2 footer more like 4-5 maybe a 6

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Thanks Skip. I had this very discussion with my Pop yesterday. Even with modern technology of weather radio and such, you can still get jumped, and knowing a close port to put into is key.

My buddy Norm and I got jumped by a violent t-storm on the lower Potomac a few yeas ago, and rode it out under the old WW bridge. Come to find out, there was a tornado in that storm, but it passed to the north closer to Georgetown

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Great advice skip. No one knows when or what type of emergency can happen. I made sure I knew areas to run to when I was fishing solo in Dec. proper knowledge and a cool head can and will make a difference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts