Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really isn't a report, more of an observance.

My wife and I bought a home on the water this summer. With all the things to do concerning the house, we haven't had time to take the boat out bay fishing....yet. I have been able to do quite a bit of ultra light fishing off the dock. What I've found is that when compared to other species like Rock and Trout of the same size, Perch put up a much better fight. I have to catch an 18" Rock to get the same amount of fight as a 10" Perch.

Here's a toast to all the Perch. Your easy to catch, go down fighting.........and taste good too. :chugbeer:

I can only imagine what the fight would be like if they grew to sizes in the 20" range........Bluefish?

·
Registered
14,337 Posts

My wife and I bought a home on the water this summer. With all the things to do concerning the house, we haven't had time to take the boat out bay fishing....yet. I have been able to do quite a bit of ultra light fishing off the dock. What I've found is that when compared to other species like Rock and Trout of the same size, Perch put up a much better fight. I have to catch an 18" Rock to get the same amount of fight as a 10" Perch.

Here's a toast to all the Perch. Your easy to catch, go down fighting.........and taste good too. :chugbeer:

I can only imagine what the fight would be like if they grew to sizes in the 20" range........Bluefish?
Perch is the best tasting fish in the Bay. Love to see them grow to 20"........ Gary

·
Registered
424 Posts

Cast some topwaters and see if keeper striper are around.
Pound for pound shad are the strongest fish in brackish water

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I will enter a like-sized bonefish into that ring....

How the hell can a 5# bone take 200 yards of fly backing, rest for a few while you bring him in and then run sideways another 100 yards to evade a pursuing shark?

Incredible!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I will enter a like-sized bonefish into that ring....

How the hell can a 5# bone take 200 yards of fly backing, rest for a few while you bring him in and then run sideways another 100 yards to evade a pursuing shark?

Incredible!
Yes but they are bony don't taste good--LOL!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy the perch fishery we have in our waters. Its the only consistent available resource left in my opinion. Nothing more enjoyable than rigging up an ultra light outfit with an 1/8 oz beetle spin tipped with a little squid for flavor and casting into shallow water for 8-14 inch white perch. I never get tired of it. I usually just keep the bigger ones and there is no better fish smoked in my opinion from our waters. There are so many recipies you can do from there that the smoked perch stand out in. I try and freeze and vacuum seal at least half of each batch to enjoy through the winter. One of our favorites is a combo crab/perch dip that shines around the holidays. Just add a perch or two to your favorite crab dip and the smoky meat really improves the dish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cast some topwaters and see if keeper striper are around. Pound for pound shad are the strongest fish in brackish water
Agreed hickories are tough to beat in spring. ******* tarpon. A 12 to 18 inch fish can almost pull the rod out of the hand on a strike if not anticipating it. Current adds to it, but I wear a low to mid priced reel out every year or two depending on amount caught. Bought a Sahara this spring & it held up well.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Agreed hickories are tough to beat in spring. ******* tarpon. A 12 to 18 inch fish can almost pull the rod out of the hand on a strike if not anticipating it. Current adds to it, but I wear a low to mid priced reel out every year or two depending on amount caught. Bought a Sahara this spring & it held up well.
Water Sky Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fisherman

Caught a bunch of Hickories but this 22" American shad was a ball buster on light tackle. Stradic 3000 ...........Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts