Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to determine when the crabbing is best. I have heard 3 hours prior to high tide to an hour past high tide but cannot find good data to support this.

The wife and I are pier crabbers and not on a boat. We are wanting to try out Cape Charles Pier. Typically we go to Yorktown but have had bad crabbing there this year.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I beleive the incoming tide is the best, but as long as it's moving that is good also. I prefer the incoming though!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I like the incoming and my brother likes the outgoing.
My thinking is that the crabs come in with the tide.
My brother's is that the outgoing carries the scent of your bait out to the crabs pulling them in.

Chuck

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I just crushed them this morning on an outgoing tide. Just as long as there is current.................Gary

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
CRUSHED THEM TODAY MOVING TIDE 3HRS=1 BUSHEL :thumbup:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Moving tide obviously, but to take it a step further, I crab different spots depending on an incoming or outgoing tide and also time of the day. Might be the same point but different sides of the point depending on what the tide will do over the next four or five hours.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Along that line.
As a commercial crabber with the ability to place more line in the water, I would on low tide have a line on the deep side of a shoal and on flood tide I'd crab the shoal. AS a rec crabber say early morning on a flood tide place your line in shoal water and as the morning sun rises and tide ebbs and crabbing slows move that line to 8-12' to finish the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.