Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP wife wants us tosurf fish.will be on DE. beachs,or up newcastle on river. rod&reel rec? complete new ,i am used to boat thing. what is ref. to 8 and 8 ? how much weight does rod need to handle 4oz ok?how about 10 ft stick?is 30 lb power pro. ok? is it better to have less guides on rod? we are both about 5 ft 8in tall. 12 ft rods seem huge. would like to stay in $2-300.00 dol. range. thanks for any help. b dog ,gone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry i forgot to say we would be useing spinning reels.also i may have meant 8 and bait? is that 8 oz and bait? thanks b dog

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Check out the new Tica Dolphin series also look at the Diawa seline x series rods. if your not lloking for distance look a the Diawa Laguna 4000 spinning reels. this reel will work great on your boat for casting plugs and other lures. A goood versitale reel. If distance does matter Diawa make some good surf spinning reels

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fisherman for info. i began to feel like i dropped a bomb here. hard to beleive nobody had advice on any fishing subject!i was checking out an 11 ft .tica and maybe a okoma 60 series advenger spinner reel. not sure what a bait runner is or does?thanks again . b dog gone.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
No problem if you have any other questions that I can anser send me a Bmail. I have another website you can go to if intrested just shoot me a bmail and i can get it to ya.

Rick

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome,8 & bait = 1\2 pound lead (sinker) and cut bait ,fatback mullet,spot,whatever is fresh. same as 1/2 & 1/2, 1/2 pound lead !/2 pound bait . for my money it's tough to beat tica for casual use.The 12 footer is very close to a loomis 1448 in action & weight.If you gotta spin diawa is the standard. You can spend a bunch o bucks but this will start you out.
Wes

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you're gonna be on the DE beaches, 8nbait maybe overkill. I just got a new Penn 525 mag and was amazed at the distance I could throw 4 and 5 oz of lead, top-n-bottom set up with bait. Very easy to use right out of the box, an awesome beginners reel for conventional setups. Most I catch on the DE beaches is on the small side anyway, and close in just beyond the breakers....

·
Registered
16 Posts
you can look at a tica rod 9 ft or so and go with a shimano or Okuma baitrunner 4500BR fpr 9 foot would be ok. unless you are in heavy current you do not need 8Nbait 4oz is fine Hateras style or Sputnick type sinkers work well. If you want a lighter set-up for your wife look at the Diawa surf rods and reels. Light strong Equipt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you can look at a tica rod 9 ft or so and go with a shimano or Okuma baitrunner 4500BR fpr 9 foot would be ok. unless you are in heavy current you do not need 8Nbait 4oz is fine Hateras style or Sputnick type sinkers work well. If you want a lighter set-up for your wife look at the Diawa surf rods and reels. Light strong Equipt.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks striper #1 good info saved me from wasting$ on some monster setup we could not handle.[wink]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts