Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at pontoon boats and canoes and now I am looking at a fishing kayak. I like the idea of it being so portable. I have never been in a kayak and was wondering how stable are they and what is the rudder for. Is that so when you hook a big fish you can steer you boat with the fish. Is there anywhere in the Hampton roads area that somebody can go and test kayak before you buy one.
Dan

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
SOT's are very stable.
SOB's are like little canoes,very unstable.I'm sure Cory will fill you in on the other details.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I go out most weekends for about half a day. I have an extra kayak (WS Tarpon 140 and Tarpon 160i). I would be glad to meet you either in lynnhaven or Rudee inlet and let you try one out. Also you can post on www.tkaa.org and I am sure someone there would be willing to let you take a test drive. The only catch is that I may be taking a day off work to go fishing which would mean I would not go out this coming weekend.

bmail me if you want to meet up.

As far as stability, you don't want to stand up on one, but no problems otherwise. I like a rudder mostly because I can drift fish with the wind and control the kayak without using a paddle. Kayaks track better than canoes so while a rudder helps, it is not required. I think that most of the kayakers in tkaa do not have rudders just to give you an idea of how important others think they are.

Jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds great about the test drive but I have to go to Fredericksburg this coming weekend to get my kids and so would have to be another weekend. Here's another problem I am 6'3 and about 300 pounds. I seen the pick with the big guy in the Tarpon 140 and looks like it was holding him just fine. Peple tell me that I don't look that big.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
At 300# your are just shy of the carring capacity of the Tarpon. I would check out the Malibu X-factor or Xtreme. Both have 500# capacities. Long Bay Pointe Bait and Tackle (757-403-0734) is the local Distributor for this kayak.THey have an extreme in stock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went by Long Bay Pointe Bait and Tackle today to look at the kayaks and they were closed. I was really looking forward to checking them out and checking out the store..
Dan

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
They have two stores, the shore drive one isonly open seasonal. The main store is a Long Bay Pointe Marina on West Great Neck Road. Same building as One Fish Two Fish Resturant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts