Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big E and I were scouting new territory on Saturday. When we went up the "left" fork of Forked Creek we found it ended at a dam with a nice sized lake up above it.

It looks like a part of a gated community (Carrollton Manor?)... what's up with that lake? Anyone know what's in? Can we legally fish it?

It looked pretty nice.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
The land around that pond has been preserved and is described in the book "Jewels of the Severn." I believe that the lake is private...probably either owned by the Grey's or, more likely, by the community in a conservation easement.

About a mile upriver, at the head of Stevens Creek, is a slightly larger pond/lake in the appropriately named "Lakeland" community. I'm convinced that this is where the Severn got most of its Largemouth Bass and Black Crappie (and probably some Pickerel, too). It's private and, as I can attest from my youthful days of trespassing, jealously guarded by the community. I caught a few Crappie to 9" and LM to 14" there, but a friend of mine growing up hooked into a 6lb monster. Many years ago, after a rainstorm caused the lake to flood into Stevens Cove, we saw schools of LM Bass and Crappie all along the Fairwinds community shoreline. Fairwinds also was known for its Pickerel and Y. Perch, which I doubt is coincidental of its proximity to the lake.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You'll stay out of there lfreed...if you know what's good for you...AH, AH, AH, AH, AH!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Greg... I figured you'd know all about it... maybe YOU'RE the one who's haunting it... trying to keep all these other SRRKC-ers out of your honey-hole, eh! :)

Big E... I think we need to try a super-secret-behind-the-lines scouting operation... we'll see what ghosts lurk in them there waters! :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
lfreed. I have only fished that pond in passing, not hard and only from the road. It looks pretty inviting though. Seems to be a place where one would find some pickerel and other freshwater goodies. I had always heard it was private, and was reluctant to venture out on it. If you left a vehicle in that area, I'm almost certain you would get a visit from the county's finest.

I used to do quite a bit of shore and pond fishing in the area, but since moving here and becoming a boat and slip holder, have enjoyed the river much more. People can say what they want about this river, but as for me, I love it. The mix of fresh and saltwater species makes this a year-round fishery and great fun. The pickerel has only solidified this belief. Never spent much time going after them until now. From here on out though, I will be looking forward to winter after the fall rock season.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with you, Greg... I have been amazed at how beautiful the Severn River's creeks and coves are... this pickerel derby has taken me into some really cool areas of this river. It truly is a jewel.

Thanks for the word on the lake... it looked like quite an exclusive area in there. Unfortunately it was frozen solid when we checked it out or we would've taken a few casts (we beached the boat at the dam and walked across the road).

Maybe something this summer we'll do a stealth reconnaissance:)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Larry. Because of the sizes of my boats, and not being as daring as I once was, I seldom leave the river unless conditions are right. As a result, I've learned to chase different fish throughout the year. I really love fly fishing for bluegill in the spring and casting the shallows for perch and other varieties all summer. And like you said, my searches for these smaller fish have taken me to many locations not frequented by the rock fishermen. Sometimes there are rock in these "remote" locales, and that even makes it more worthwhile.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wheel of Fortune's Pat Sajak lives right off that pond. That's probably more frieghtening than it being haunted. I'd also wager that, as Greg said, AA's finest -- and maybe private security -- patrol the area regularly for trespassers.

I wouldn't want to see you on the front page of a check-out isle magazine accused of being Sajak's stalker (actually, maybe I would get just a little kick out of seeing that...the resulting banter on the SRRKC board would sure make the winter fly by).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.