Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being full time military and part time bass pro employee (fishing dept.), I have decided my next saltwater conquest is going to be sharking from shore. A few guys I work with do this every so often but have not really helped out with the how to part. I have the rod and reel, tackle and rigs, and soon my kayak. I've been told to use and have used everything from tuna bellies to fresh blues and mackerels. I tried this method down in hatteras for 2 days straight with not so much as a bite.

I'm wondering about time of year and location. What should I be doing? I'm currently stationed at Fort Meade, MD but head back to DE often. I've fished IRI my whole life, just not for shark...on purpose. Any help, info, and advice would be greatly appreciated. If at all possible, I would even HO on a boat for pointers on how to and what not to do. Thanks in advance.

Tight Lines,
Ron

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
WARNING!!!! In most states it is ILLEGAL TO CHUM FROM SHORE!!! Odds are you didnt get a bite because you werent chumming. IN some states it may actually be illegal to intentionally fish for sharks from shore (usually because the best fishin beaches are also the best swimmin beaches.. tourism departments dont exactly side with fisherman) One the best things I can tell you is a. you may not be putting the bait out far enough and b. it needs to be fresh as can be. Check with the local dnr or game and inland fisheries to make sure you are following the rules.
good luck

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The run a sharkfishing tour from the beach in Ocean City. You put your rig on free spool run out about 150- 200 yrds and fish mahi or tuna scraps. My nephew did this last year and caught four over 6 foot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith, I'm not entirely sure about the whole non-targeting this year. All I heard was that they did not give the tackle shop the permit to have a shark tournament this year. I'll check into it.

Tubby, I did EXACTLY that in hatteras...to the tee, and nothing. I'll find out what DE says about it this year and give it a go when I get a chance.

Gaff em', I didn't chum from shore and I don't think I have ever seen anyone do that. Your right about it being a safety issue. Still, I did manage a 5ft sand tiger right where i used to swim as a kid during the blue fish tournament in October at IRI. Regardless, they are there!

Thanks guys for the info. I'll do some research and post the results...in case anybody else has the same questions I do.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts