Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When would I use #1 and #2 inline planers instead on inline weight? What does the more expensive inline planer do for me that the inline weight does not? Thanks.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Pro - Planer allows you to fight just the fish once hooked. Con - They also track funny and can cause tangles. Heavy lures at slow speed seem to trip them constantly (ymmv). Planers run at set depths leaving large areas lureless.

Pro - Inlines are more variable and you can really pinpoint your lure depth. Inlines are less affected by speed. You can easily cover the water column. Con - You fight the weight with the fish and with heavy in-lines, can't even feel smaller fish..

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
If I'm trolling faster than 4 knots - I use the down planers. It takes too much in line weight to get deep when speed is up near 4 knots.

The # 1 and # 2 run about 12 to 20 feet - more / less the same depth many fish are at in summer.

If I see fish below 20 feet - I go back to slower speeds and big inlines around 16 to 20 ozs.

You can use the # 3 size down planer but it has a huge amount of pull.

·
Registered
885 Posts
In addition to everything above, diving planers give a bait different action, and/or perhaps provide an attractor. You will catch many more fish on a drone, clark, or squid spoon behind a diving planer than behind a sinker.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am a big fan of planners. I will fish them over inline weights as soon as the fish move to the top of the water colum for me they out fish inline weights. I like a drone #2 on both 1& 2 planners.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Speaking of attractors... does anyone use them in conjunction with down riggers as is done in the NW for Salmon/Trout? Or any other combination with an attractor/flasher?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts