Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post a quick albacore trip Capt Bob Dekeurlanare, longtime Rhode Island Guide and myself did today. Albe fishing has been just short of sensational off Gasparilla this year in SW Fl. Bob used a 9 wt fly rod, int line with a flatwing fly used in the NE, me a sting silver due to a bad shoulder & back. Anyway we had it to ourselves as usual, since most here consider albes as a trash fish, and evidenced by some guides working the beach for lingering snook, which is C&R only due to being out of season. Anyway Bob was a little outgunned, with a 9 wt, after about 20 or so albes between us we decided to head back in. We both unf. had somewhere to go. The albes here seem to be a little stronger then the NC albes, and slightly smaller, can only think temp and oxygen as a possibility. The albes were jumping out of the water for glass minnows, sardines, and small needlefish, was cool sight, wish I had better cameras with me. Weather has been unreal here past week, 79, East wind around 5, enjoy some pics. BTW try a chiropractor before going under the knife, seems to help.

Capt Bob Dekeurlanare

Some breakers

Capt Frank Ciurca
Southwest Florida Salt Water Fly Fishing Guide

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dwilliams thats a good question. In this part of SW Fl many in the fishing community here have historically been meat fishermen. There is an abundance of good eating fish in the area, like snook, reds, snapper, trout, grouper etc. The false albacore is a red meat and not considered top table fare. There is another close specie to the false albacore and it is called the bonito or green bonito. That species is excellent on the grill, however, I havent seen them inshore since being in SW Fl. Use to go after them out of OC years ago, but had to go 30 or so miles. The main difference beyond some markings and dorsal is that they have teeth.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have caught bonito in the surf in NC but never an Albie.

How do they fight? The look like a muscular atheltic fish.

Related but off topic, I was reading one of Kreh's books today he discusses the New Guinea Black Bass. He says it is the most powerful pound-for-pound fish he has ever handled. Papua New Guinea - Papuan Black Bass

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'd think anyone here may tell you pound for pound they're as tough as it gets. Some will fight to the death. It is a nearly a perfect fish on fly as they take eagerly, usually stay hooked, and pull hard.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Great to see 'em down on the sw coast. Pull like freight trains, and are terrible table fair therefore a very sustainable fishery. Must be nice catching them in warm weather!! What is the forage for the albies down there?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Todd, the albes we've been catching lately are eating glass minnows, sardines, needles, silversides, and just about anything that will get in the way. They're following schools of bait, and can be had from near shore to 8 miles out. Early on in late summer you can find some on wrecks, however they tend to school up here in Nov/Dec, maybe a little later then the NC albacore.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Frank-thanks for the info. Any toothy critters in behind the albies? Used to fish Boca Grande years ago and miss making a run to that part of FL. Very diverse fishery.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todd, havent seen any this year, plenty last. Got 2 trips this weekend, will hopefully find some.
BTW wishing you and all TFers a Merry Christmas and a healthy line pulling New Year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts