Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the misfortune of fishing all day with Livewell, radio and GPS/Fishfinder on and when time to leave not enough power to start the engine. Luckily a fellow fisherman was close by who had a 2nd battery on board to get me started and back on my way. My questions!
Can a starting battery for the engine and a deep cell battery for the accessories be set up using the 4 way battery switch and allow the engine to recharge both batteries when on?
Can you use the engine to recharge a deep cell battery? I have heard that it is not good for the engine.
I have a Yamaha 115HP 4 stroke.
How are these installed on other boats?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also experienced the same situation on my boat. I installed another battery. I got a perko battery swictch. You can cut them off when not in use. I switch batteries with each use. Some guys use batt 1 on odd days and 2 on even days. It's all up to you. Instalation is simple. Just use a common ground (black) on the batteries and run the hot (red) to each side of the switch. Mount the switch in a convenient location. As far as charging both at the same time, can't help you there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The one thing that you have to watch out for is switching the batteries over when the motor is running. On SOME motors (maybe it is just older ones or smaller ones, I don't know.) the battery is part of the voltage reguation system. If you disconnect the battery while the motor is running and your electrionics is still hooked up you risk killing your electronics.

A quick email to your motor manufacturer should provide a valid answer as to how you should go about installing and using a two battery system.

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar problem like you even though I have two batteries.
I had to towed in. Now I switch batteries every other use and also carry one to the jump battery starters as precautionary measure.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
[Q]Tom Powers originally wrote:
The one thing that you have to watch out for is switching the batteries over when the motor is running. On SOME motors (maybe it is just older ones or smaller ones, I don't know.) the battery is part of the voltage reguation system. If you disconnect the battery while the motor is running and your electrionics is still hooked up you risk killing your electronics.

A quick email to your motor manufacturer should provide a valid answer as to how you should go about installing and using a two battery system.

Tom
[/Q]This must be a problem for all. I have a new boat with diesel
inboard and the owners manual warns that switching while the moter is running may be disasterous. I would like to find a good book on the use and service of batteries in boats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
most battery switches allow you to switch from1 to 2 to both with the engine running which allows you to charge both batteries at once. Just make sure you dont switch to off while the engine is running unless you have made the connection thru your switch to the alternator. also i believe that you should only charge both batteries at once when they both have a similar state of charge ie voltage or else one will charge through the other and seek the lowest voltage. i try to charge one at a time to maintain one a full charge ie max ampre hours to get full cranking power. switching from 1 to 2 while running allows you to do this on the way out to the fishing area. have an ammeter installed and watch it while you charge each battery.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would suggest contacting 'Blue Seas Systems' and requesting a catalog. ( they manufacture ac and dc sytems for boats). In the catalog they show diagrams for virtually any type of setup you might want to run, and what components you need to do so. They probably have things you haven't thought of.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
245 Posts
Mikie is on the right path, Blue seas has a system using a voltage sensing relay that will always isolate the engine starting battery so that it won't be drawn down past a certain voltage. I plan to upgrade to this system on my JB this fall/winter

·
Registered
573 Posts
[Q]FishyRick originally wrote:
Can a starting battery for the engine and a deep cell battery for the accessories be set up using the 4 way battery switch and allow the engine to recharge both batteries when on?
[/Q]
yes- but be careful with having those different battery types- they are designed for much different purposes, and can leave you stranded very quickly (especially if you have a starting battery)
[Q]
Can you use the engine to recharge a deep cell battery? I have heard that it is not good for the engine.
I have a Yamaha 115HP 4 stroke.
[/Q]
Yes again

I have a Yammie 225 4-stroke, with 2 deep cell batteries running through a battery switch. I run the boat and everything off of the same battery, either 1 or 2; I do not have a routine for choosing what battery, but do my best to switch it up. I NEVER run the boat on both batteries- the 2nd battery is for redundancy, dont let it become involved in the problem, and like someone already stated, the batteries can charge through each other, possibly draining a good battery into a super dead battery, leaving you with 2 dead batteries.

With this system, if battery 1 dies, I simply swap it to battery 2, and let it run there for a while, and flip it back to battery 1 to charge up the dead battery.

If for some reason both batteries decide to die, you can flip it to both, and hopefully between both of the batteries, there will be enough current to start your engine

Back to your first question, I would reccomend 2 deep-cycle batteries, with more than enough CCA (NOT MCA) to start your engine. These batteries, although will die faster while drawing the 200 Amps for starting the engine vs. thjavascript:nothing();e starting battery, how long are you actually drawing the 200 amps vs. the ~15 amps to run your electronics?

More than my $.02 worth [grin]

·
245 Posts
I incorrectly list the system I was thinking of as a Blue Seas system. It is acutally made by BEP Marine

http://www.bepmarine.com/showproduct.cfm?productid=501

It is a no brainer, turn on house, and turn on start, it takes care of the rest. You could accidentally leave the boat with all of your electronics on, and it will protect your starting battery for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chesbay,

The Single engine relay system looks to be what I need. Do you have a retail outlet where I can get this? Any idea of the cost. I could not find any of this info on thier site.

Thanks to everyone else that offered thier input. This has been more challanging then I orignaly thought.

·
245 Posts
Boaters world stocks them for $149, but I think you can get them online ( try google ) for around $125. It is more than a traditional switch, but a lot better than finding someone to give you a jump start

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Pick up a West Marine catalog - it goes into great detail on two battery set ups. An OFF-1-2-BOTH switch gives you maximum flexibilty, but has the potential of operator error: leaving both on and draining both batteries, switching while running (you'll fry your rectifier/Diodes) etc. And isolator keeps each independent, but can't combine the two for added voltage to start with a low battery. WM has a complicated set up to do all, but it was just too many switches for me (3 separate), especially at $30 a switch plus combiner. They also have a new product that's under $100 that I was planning to get but I've gotten used to using the Big 'ol Perko switch.

Oh yeah - there are 'Make before break' switches out there, but not all, so you better make sure you got one before switching with the motor running. Better off not doing it at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts