Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my self a stereo for my boat for christmas. i dont want to drilll huge holes in my semi new boat, i looked at boozuka speakers and they were $350, a little step for me, so an alternitive to drilling 6-8 inch holes in the boat, and i'm not to troubled by the unit/ head plate it self i going to put in a JBL water proof series, i don't have the moudle #, any ideas would help, i have a center console with no t-top, and it's only 17 foot boat...
\

Tony S

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm getting my self a stereo for my boat for christmas. i dont want to drilll huge holes in my semi new boat, i looked at boozuka speakers and they were $350, a little step for me, so an alternitive to drilling 6-8 inch holes in the boat, and i'm not to troubled by the unit/ head plate it self i going to put in a JBL water proof series, i don't have the moudle #, any ideas would help, i have a center console with no t-top, and it's only 17 foot boat...
\

Tony S
If you could manage to put up some photos of the interior of your boat, it might help in getting some suggestions or some alternate ideas.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I mounted mine on the side of the console, easy to get to under console/storage area. BoatersWorld sells a weather proof cover for radio

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would think twice about a JBL marine radio. I had nothing but trouble with them. I replaced one under warranty and the second one was nothing but headaches. I took it out and replaced it. When I removed the first one, I found that it wasn't a JBL but a Prospec with a JBL label. I tried to contact Prospec but got nowhere. I replaced it with a Dual Marine stereo with wired remote and couldn't be happier. Good luck whichever you choose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
as bottom Scratcher said JBL radio's are **** Simply because JBL for years has been a speaker company and don't make radios They make great Speakers. If you want a good Stereo at a decent price Go with a Jensen or Dual both are economical and are both owned by Audivox Corp. next I would Suggest a Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood or Polyplaner . as far as speaker Jensen, Pioneer, Poly Planer Kenwood again. 6.5 2 or 3way mounted on both sides of the console would supply a Great sound with plenty of bass especially if mounted just below gunnels highest point. Also this system wouldn't be as Power hungry as an amplified system which could be an issue with your outboard charging system. Most outboard charging system are no more than 35amps and depending on how hard and long you use it will determine your power supply needs If you keep it simple you can enjoy it for a long time
Ive been installing Auto & Marine electronics for 25 years and have noticed that most boat owners use there system harder while running
if you need any more help Pm or email me
Greg
Diverse Customs
Auto Marine Electronic Installations
[email protected]:thumbup:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a small boat - If you have an iPod the Poly Planer MP3 kit is outstanding - and... CHEAP

Volume knob I mounted under the tach. I have the iPod jack inside the console compartment.

Kit comes with Amp / speakers / jack / ss hardware / everything you need

·
Registered
242 Posts
i could use some help:
this is my boat.

Edgewater Boats
With that console, it would seem to be an easy install. do it along the same as pgoodchile's installation. You can get a radio enclosure that opens and closes to keep water and weather out at most marine outlets. The hardest thing that you'll encounter is to get yourself over the fear of cutting in that first hole in that pretty console but after you're done, you'll realize that it wasn't that hard after all.

If it were me, I would probably (depending on what was behind it) mount the enclosure below the steering wheel, or, not really being able to see what the right side of the console looks like, maybe on that side. As far as speakers, two on the lower section to the rear like pgoodchild's and maybe two on the forward side.

Like said before, looks like an easy install. Good luck.

G

·
This boat is designed to have the stereo mounted above the cup holders on the console. If you are uneasy about cutting the speaker holes, I would go out a buy a 5" hole saw. I have installed a ton of stereos on boats, and this will save you alot of time. A jig saw will scratch the fiberglass if you are not careful too. Be sure you have adequate clearance behind the speaker hole before you cut. I would mount the head unit in the dash above the cup holders (buy a waterproof head unit too like clarion) and the speakers on either side of the console. Don't forget to pick up an am/fm antenna.

If you would like someone to take care of this for you, give me a call. Craig White Chesapeake Installers 410-570-7355.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for suggestions on mounting my speakers for my boat. I have a CC with a Fiberglass T Top and Electronics Box. My plan is to mount the cd player in the electronics box on a gimbal mount which is easy. I had the round speakers come with the CD player but I hate the idea of drilling a 4'' hole and mounting them to the side of my console or in the electronics box. So I purchased the 5'' box speakers and I am trying to figure a way to mount these on the tubing from my t top in front of the electronics box, this will be easy to hide the wire and will not be that hard. I am just looking for ideas to see if anyone else had some ideas. I just hate the fact of drilling holes in my console and/or electronics box for speakers that will get wet and possible need replacing 2-3 yrs down the road. I thought about buying the wakeboard tower speakers but those are a lil expensive for me. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts