Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the paper that Int`l paper is selling large parcels of land to a conservation group.It sounds like this could put a hurting on alot of the clubs in this area.They bought one large tract in south hampton co. to preserve it for the wood******s.

·
Registered
514 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

They said it was something like 225,000 acres and sold for three million some dollars. This may just change hunting as we know it that area.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

DAMN............Less than $14 an acre...........I thing either the acreage or purchase price is a little off.

They also sold a tract behind my house but not to a conservation group. They are clear cutting it to make room for two golf courses and 150 homes.

DEAN

·
Banned
350 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

Sold our land in Chesapeake in the middle of hunting season last year. To the game dept no less. Oh, well. Didn't like the skeeters and snakes anyway.[grin]

Jimmy

·
Registered
440 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

I read the article as well. The price was in the $30 million range. Apparently alot of the land will eventually be turned over to the state to create state forest land. Part of what was bought by the nature conservancy is adjacent to a piece of land that they already own. There is still around 150,000 acres in VA that Intl paper is going to sell. I would imagine that the state and these agencies have their eye on the rest of it as well. At least thats the way it sounded in the article in the Richmond Times

·
Registered
29 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

i hunt the area in in south hampton country with a hunt club along the black water river. the conservation group does allow big game hunting and we have not heard anything from them yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
INT' PAPER SELLING LAND

Actually, they have 6.8Million acres up for sale right now. They are liquidating most land assets.

The vast majority will be in very large parcels (well over 100,000acres) and most will go to development or forest management/harvest companies. It would be a great opportunity to acquire land for preservation or for a hunting club, but tough to come up with funds to by such vast tracts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts