Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday looking for birds. Found 'em, but this was a little unusual. There were a group of 10 to 12 Loons diving. Not diving from the air, but sitting on the water and in unison going underwater and chasing bait fish. In so doing, they were driving the bait fish to the surface where the gulls were pounding them. Drifting near this activity we were lucky to jig up a few very nice Rock, two 29 inchers and several fat 20 to 24 inchers, but I was a little afraid of jigging up a Loon--they are very powerful birds and I think they have teeth! Has anyone else witnessed this?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishnrock--Well I won't forget the scene nor the fish we caught near them.

Fishboy-- I doubt they taste like chicken, they are the closest living relative we have to Pterodactls.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I was casting the shore on the Potomac side of PLO last Sunday and saw the exact same thing...two loons working together, diving together and gulls hovering over them. The loons were big, the stripers were small. At first I thought two gulls were tangled on the same line cause they went down at the exact same time and surfaced at the same time.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Loons/ Cormorants and some other water birds can "fly" underwater and chase down baitfish.Some even dive to the bottom in deep water.

I was diving once off Mexico and saw a bird "fly" by at 45 feet :eek2:. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me until after the dive-other divers on the boat reported seeing birds also.

Never heard of one hitting a lure.We have tangled one in the line though.
FYI: Gently toss a towel over the bird's head.It quiets them down.Be careful releasing a bird.They often will peck at you as you let them go.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I saw a Loon in the E bay yesterday. About 20 yards from my boat. Def had me doing a double take. Looked like a black sea monster at first. Jigging one up could be trouble!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old Bird-- Definately Loons

Skip-- I have seen Puffins in Newfoundland and other sea birds diving for Caplin (small fish) while Humpback whales were also feeding on the Caplin. I've always wondered if the ocassional Puffin gets sucked into the whale along with the little fish.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Loons can be Counter Productive,They are Just begining their Fall migration into trhe Chesapeake,Small groups As Well as Flocks diving on smaller fish will draw Flocks of Gulls --Runs from close by to many miles seen in glasses & on Radar May Prove be a False Alarm --

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
capt. george, Don't be afraid of hooking loons, they put up a great fight. One time I was fishing a popular WWD and there were some loons diving there, but I thought nothing of it until I hooked what I thought was a really nice rock. The drag was screaming and I wasn't sure how to handle the fish, when all of a sudden a loon popped up, shook its head and through my jig from its beak. It was one of the funniest things I've had happen on the water. Not sure if the loon thought so.:eek:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
capt. george, Don't be afraid of hooking loons, they put up a great fight. One time I was fishing a popular WWD and there were some loons diving there, but I thought nothing of it until I hooked what I thought was a really nice rock. The drag was screaming and I wasn't sure how to handle the fish, when all of a sudden a loon popped up, shook its head and through my jig from its beak. It was one of the funniest things I've had happen on the water. Not sure if the loon thought so.:eek:
--Like Trolling for Gorilla Blues in the Cruise Ship Turn Around Basin in C C, Fla. --Hooking Pelicans on 11/0 CC's , more action in the air than in the water --

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
--Like Trolling for Gorilla Blues in the Cruise Ship Turn Around Basin in C C, Fla. --Hooking Pelicans on 11/0 CC's , more action in the air than in the water --
I know what you mean about those pelicans. We hooked one off OI one time and it didn't get it that we just wanted to unhook it. Them suckers can bite.:eek:

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Charter Capt in NC told me he has caught gannets in his commercial fishing nets 150ft deep!.........

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I know what you mean about those pelicans. We hooked one off OI one time and it didn't get it that we just wanted to unhook it. Them suckers can bite.:eek:
--Tho most anglers already know this ,Any bird , hooked or snagged may be immidiatly calmed down by using a Damp rag over their head --Try to be Extra Careful with the wings & legs , as they are ultra Fragile --Entangled mono should be cut off in small lengths , rather than Attempting to unwrap , lure reattachment is such a Quick thing to do --

--for your own knowledge feel how Small the body of a gull is, for this reason they return to shore to rest & Preen thier feathers , coming out again when Conditions are right , Tide, current, wind etc, -Flapping wings a Massive users of Energy & body weight --They Gotta work for a Meal --" Gulls Ain't got a 7-11 to go to"-geo,

·
Registered
241 Posts
had a client out 2 yrs ago and had so many loons one came up and we heard the bump on the boat bottom. i thought they wwere some from of cormorant but my client did a lot of fishing and hunting up north and told me everything i needed to know about loons.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JA's picture of a Loon is in Summer plumage. The one's we see in the Bay are molting into winter plumage. The are mottled white and black. Note the big head and powerful beak. What I saw were Loons, not Cormorants.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts