Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and daughter have little interest in fishing and have no knowledge of fishing tackle. They chose to buy two lures for me for Christmas at an antique/gift shop last summer in Cape May. They made their purchases based not on fish-attractiveness, but rather on what they thought looked interesting.

The first lure was a bright chrome Creek Chub Knucklehead Jr. These are still available as new lures and are not particularly unusual.

The second lure was one I have never seen nor heard of before. It is called a Burke Bassassin. As far as I can tell, it bears no relation to the Bass Assassin company. The lure looks like a frog with no legs. It has two treble hooks. I assumed it was made of wood or hard plastic until I touched it -- I was surprised to find that the body is made of rubber or some type of soft plastic. When I looked on the Internet for information, I found very few positive hits, and none in the green frog pattern. I suspect it is an older lure, now out of production.

I will probably not use it for real fishing. Instead it will sit on display in the office of my new consulting business as a conversation piece.
Bicycle saddle Automotive lighting Gas Sports equipment Art
Musical instrument Art Table Idiophone Electric blue
Hand Fluid Finger Liquid Nail

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I have a lure like that. it always reminded me of a hula popper. They are good lures when you want the lure to stay in one spot for a long time, I like them in the fall

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Its a hula popper made by Heddon or whoever Heddon bought up years before...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Its a hula popper made by Heddon or whoever Heddon bought up years before...
Nope - not a Hula Popper...they were make of hard plastic. The "look" is kind of like a Hula Popper crossed with a Jitterbug. But both are hard lures.
I was surprised to find that the body is made of rubber or some type of soft plastic.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looks like a jitterbug product from the seventies .Fish keep their eye on the bait up to the strike so maybe it fools em when they are close or fisherman like the looks of it their tackle boxes.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Neat...might be a fun lure to try in the Potomac. And congrats on the new consulting business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts