1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
903 Posts
What do you need to do with them after you buy them? I know they are for keeping the line while in your boat, but I got the impression that after you buy one you need to do something else before they are ready to be used? Maybe cut them down to a shorter length or something?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Generally you need to add weight to the bottom so it does not blow over either in the wind or while your boat is moving. There are different ways to accomplish this. Some people use a ring of clear plastic tubing filled with sinkers which is what I did. You could also use a big beach towel, get it good and wet and put it in the bottom. Pretty much anything that will lay in the bottom which your line won't tangle around will work.

Guy

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Paxfish puts a circle of plywood in the bottom of his that he runs zipties or weedeater line through to keep the running line from tangling.

David

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Here you go - use 3/4" exterior grade ply with a couple of coats of polyurethane. 1" clear tubing filled with weights, buckshot or in this case, .38 wadcutters.

You can use zip ties trimmed to 1" or so for line separators in the bottom. I also added a brass grommet near the top - the barrel can double as a drift anchor.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hey Chris - It sure was nice sharing scouting reports with ya - I'm a flightly fisherman, and tend to move around a lot. So the intel was appreciated!

We ended up with a lotta, lotta fish in the twenties - biggest was about 32".

I blew up my T3 9wt for the third time on some leviathan.

Winds were approaching 30 knots midday. Even though we were in the lee of Fort Story, the drift was very fast. I had the Brady Barrel drift anchor out most of the time.

Nasty square-faced chop on the way in. The waves were only around 2 feet, but their vertical faces sucked. With boats like ours though, you just kick in the tabs and slow down to 15mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts