Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard that the Iraq funding bill, which is being debated right now, containing millions in pork for the Atlantic Menhaden industry (that is, one company ....Omega). What does this have to do with the Iraq war, you ask?? Nothing. It's classic pork being slipped into the bill. Is CCA, CBF or any other group on top of this? If so, for what specifically is the funding earmarked? If someone with people on the Hill isn't on top of it, they ought to hurry and get on top of it today or tomorrow. Gilchrest (R-MD) is one of the people deciding today where he stands on the bill. He could be a swing vote and could have influence over whether this pork earmark stays in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
News

$260 million for agriculture and fisheries disaster assistance for all 2005 hurricane affected areas. This includes:
$120 million for fisheries relief. A significant portion of this funding will go to Louisiana for direct relief for the shrimp and menhaden industries, surveying, and debris removal along traditional fishing grounds.
$100 million for citrus disaster assistance
$25 million for livestock disaster assistance
$15 million for rice saltwater intrusion disaster assistance

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bmail me your email address and I'll get it to you...one of our legislative experts kindly pointed me to the fisheries portion, which he says doesn't specifically mention Menhaden. I would try to do more, but I'm tied up with many matters today (including the Gonzales/McNulty mess:helpsmilie:) This was brought to my attention by a lobbyist working on the funding bill....he pointed out that it's in today's Post, too (I haven't had a chance to read it).

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
wonder who suggested the relief for omega? hope it is to get them to close their doors....
That's a good question...Omega has, or had, a big operation in the Gulf, just a WAG on my part without seeing the bill language but I suspect that's what the deal is...

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
wonder who suggested the relief for omega?
A couple of clues can be had by reading who owns and controls the company.

Omega Protein was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Houston, Texas. (there is a clue of you)
Omega Protein Corporation is a subsidiary of Zapata Corporation.
OME: Profile for OMEGA PROTEIN CP - Yahoo! Finance
OME: Insider Transactions for OMEGA PROTEIN CP - Yahoo! Finance

Zapata Corporation was incorporated in 1954 and is headquartered in Rochester, New York.
ZAP: Profile for ZAPATA CP (NEW) - Yahoo! Finance
ZAP: Insider Transactions for ZAPATA CP (NEW) - Yahoo! Finance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts