Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father went to a seminar the other weekend. He told me that he learned that chumming is actually polluting the Bay. For one, the oils that are released are harmful. More imortantly, when we buy menhaden to chum with, we are supporting an industry that is abusing a natural resource. If you think about all of those boats out around love point during the summer. Combine that with the fact that most people really over chum, I think this may have some credence.

_What do y'all think about that?

·
Registered
401 Posts
How exactly are the oils harmful to the bay?

If you don't support the menhaden industry go park your boat under the bay bridge and catch a cooler full of small spot and white perch. Hook up a grinder at home and make your own.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Have you ever seen what was left after Stripers or Bluefish got finished dining on a school of menhaden??? Menhaden is a natural food for all gamefish that swim the bay, frankly I don't see the difference. Most if not all the chum sold by local tackle shops is made from menhaden caught by local watermen. As a side note livelining became quite popular last year and will likely continue so this year, as a result many who previously chummed switched to to this method.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I feel a Troll here......

If you're not trolling, just do a search for Capt. Norm Bartlett and you'll find a ton of info on chumming.
- Dae

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Boy you can say that again Dae.......:rolleyes:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
It wouldn,t surprise me if someone said that at a seminar, I heard guides try to push their beleifs on people at seminars many times, It also wouldn,t surpise me if it is a troll. this board is full of trolls. If people aren,t trolling about chum, its anti-watermen, trollers, baitfishermen. look at all the yellow perch threads recently, if thats not trolling I don,t know what is:D

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
:52: :52: :52: :52: :52: :38: :38: :38: :38: :38: :poke1: :poke1: :poke1: :poke1:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure who the speaker was. If you really want to know, I'll have to ask my father. I think it was in middle river.

Just because something is a naturally occuring substance doesn't mean that it can't be a pollutant. It is more of a consideration of levels.

When you say troll, are you refering to dragging lures behind the boat for hours and hours? Or are you talking about the little, fat warty guys that live under bridges?

Actually, there is a petition to have clarification as to wether chum is a pollutant. It doesn't look like it will pass, but the question remains. Is chum a pollutant?

I noticed last year that chumming was not very effective. Or maybe it was that trolling never became so ineffective that chumming was necessary.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
The way trolling is used for this post: You are "trolling"-looking to stir up sh*t or just rag guys. The chum/pollution thing got way out of hand last year.Go back and read from 2006-you'll be busy for a long time.:rolleyes:

You are correct about chumming last year.The live-line bite was insane plus 95% of the fish were keepers.The trolling bite stayed good so most people did not need to chum.The rockfish were moving around chasing bait which makes it hard to draw them to a chum line. Skip

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
The way trolling is used for this post: You are "trolling"-looking to stir up sh*t or just rag guys. The chum/pollution thing got way out of hand last year.Go back and read from 2006-you'll be busy for a long time.:rolleyes:
We should change the name from 'trolling' to 'chumming" especially for the really bad, blatant "trolls".

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
You asked, "Is chumming detrimental to the Bay?"

Probably a lot less detrimental than the emissions/discharges put out by the plants that supply power to run your PC.

(I can't believe I opened this thread.):yawn:

Come up with 100 bay pollutants, and the top 4 or 5 would be more detrimental to the bay than the next 95 combined. Then if you went looking for (and could possibly find) another 50 bay pollutants, chum would come in about #151.

Then you said, "My father went to a seminar the other weekend. He told me that he learned that chumming is actually polluting the Bay. For one, the oils that are released are harmful. More imortantly, when we buy menhaden to chum with, we are supporting an industry that is abusing a natural resource. If you think about all of those boats out around love point during the summer. Combine that with the fact that most people really over chum, I think this may have some credence. What do y'all think about that?"

I think that's as much credence as I can muster for now.

I still can't believe I opened this thread.:yawn::wacko:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey guys let me ask anouther question. Since most hooks are made of metal and sure enough sinkers are made of lead arent we polluting the bay by fishing? Or since hooks cause pain shouldnt we just commission a state committe to ask the fish to give up some flesh for us to eat?

Oh, I remember using razor clams to chum with on a charter once, that sure was alot of shells going overboard, I wonder if we should get the state to test for high levels of calcium?

Arent blood worms from up north. Are we endagering the bay by introducing a non-native species and dumping blood from these worms in the bay causing massive amounts of pollution.

You know what we better stop using chicken necks for crabbing because of the chicken flesh and fat levels in the bay.

Maybe we should just sell our boats and let the fisheys have free range without no worries.:))

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Whether chumming is a polutant or not, it's certainly not a sporting method to fish. Equavalent to baiting game, which is illegal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts