Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day out of Cape Henry.

Then I get back to the ramp at CC. Pull into the long ramp at the right end and walk my boat up. Only boat there. A guy in a big Ford pickup starts backing his trailer into the water in front of me. I look around and when he gets out of the truck, I ask "Where's the boat????". He says its on its way in and should be here in a 'minute'. I say that I'm ready to pull out and you shouldn't drop a trailer in the water if the boats not here. I already powered down my boat, pulled the outboard up and had my lines tied off to my starboard side. Wait on land about 50' away. Anyway, he leaves the trailer in the waterand goes to the porta potti near the ramp and I go get my rig. I pull up and have to wait and then their boat shows up. They load it quickly enough but then pull it out of the water and stop on the ramp to play with their upright poles and then pull out their straps and start to do their tie downs and unload their gear. Ugghh.

I get a little pissy and ask them to pull off the ramp and do that off to the side. The 3 guys just look at me and tell me to go use another ramp or wait 5 minutes. They were all guys in their mid 20"s and had a beautiful rig but no repsect for other boaters. The guys from CC office come out and asked them to move off the ramp and told them to pull off to the side and in the future, don't put the trailer in unless you are ready to pull out.. They didn't. Just finished up and left. Just has a way of ending a good day on a sour note.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You shoulda made a big scene and told them you was gonna whip there asses, wouldnt of helped but would of made you feel better. Or pulled your boat up to the ramp and got your trailer and then asked the manager what comes next.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Some people just dont have any common sense or common courtesy. I've had similar problems there before. Good job maintaining your cool.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As we all know, a day on the water is just good for the soul. Catching fish is an added benefit of fishing for me. My wife wonders how I can spend 10 or more hours out there and not get bored. Alas, then you have to come back to reality.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Had exactly the same issue with a guy in a bass boat at Leesylvania this summer. He was a big dude, shaved head like he assumed he was some sort of badass. Made some gestures at me when I had to pull up within inches of his outboard just to get my trailer lined up so I could back down the ramp. Sat there shining up his pretty little toy. Well, we'd been using the fishbox as a drink cooler, so I made sure to open the valve right before I hauled it up the ramp and sprayed ice water all over his rig. He yelled some things my children didn't need to hear. Wife wouldn't let me go tattle to the game warden. No damn courtesy.

However:
First time I launched with my wife, it was a weekend and the ramp was a little busy. I was really trying to hurry and get out of the way of the next boat coming down the ramp, and forgot to tell my wife how to tie off the boat. Two guys came walking down the ramp and took my lines and showed my wife how to tie the boat off. I thanked them and they said something about how it was a nice day and they sure weren't in any kind of hurry.

So no, courtesy isn't dead....but some people sure don't have any.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Post the name of the boat & vehicle make mod on here and the rest of us can be on the look-out and maybe suggest to them in a polite manner that they'd be better off observing common decency and ramp rules. After all.....what goes around comes around. For the rest of the folks that are courtious and help others out I say good job and thanks. A good fishing trip starts the min you leave the house until you get home. What happens in between is all part of the show.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Happens all the time at CC. I thought it was bad here and then I went to fish in Miami, another league of retardation! People dicking with tie downs etc at the top of the ramp drives me nuts, I do believe that these kind of people are oblivious to the rest of us.

H.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Had a great day out of Cape Henry..
So you *****ing about some asswipe OVERRIDES your fishing report :eek2:........everyday there is gonna be one.....just make a mental note and hope you see him broke down along side the road someday......tell us about the GREAT Day of FISHING instead dude !

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Didn't we got through this one before. The line forms at the end of the boats AT THE PIER. . . At least at crab creek it does. . . and Huntington Park and Messick Point and Wallace's . . .

The only place that I have launched locally where this does not apply (locally on salt water) is Owl's Creek because of the location of the overflow lot and the short length of the piers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Summertime you expect the trial and error crowd, and dont get too hypertensive. Rock season and the faces are hidden by horse tails, there is some overwhelming me me me me theme. Dont know what causes it but it can ruin the best of days. Guess you just have to hope that the knuckleheads just reap from their own kind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts