Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been out of the fishing scene for a few years in place of riding my road bike all of creation.

I was looking and reading around the last few weeks because I dusted off my fly gear, started replacing my lines and getting ready to get back after some fish.

Feels like saltwater fly fishing in the Chesapeake and Mid Atlantic sort of lost a lot of steam the last decade.

Thoughts?
Brandon

· Registered
767 Posts
Good to see you posting again Brandon! It's hard to say what folks have been doing, but I would guess that a lot of us have gotten older and may not be able to spend the time like we did when younger.

I relocated from MD to SC in 2015, and have not even been to the coast for fishing since 2013. I don't recall the last time I had fished in the Bay or tidal rivers.

I now live within sight of the Santee Cooper lakes, so still have Stripers available, but so far I've only caught one and it was on spinning gear while fishing for Shad in the Santee River.

· Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to see you posting again Brandon! It's hard to say what folks have been doing, but I would guess that a lot of us have gotten older and may not be able to spend the time like we did when younger.

I relocated from MD to SC in 2015, and have not even been to the coast for fishing since 2013. I don't recall the last time I had fished in the Bay or tidal rivers.

I now live within sight of the Santee Cooper lakes, so still have Stripers available, but so far I've only caught one and it was on spinning gear while fishing for Shad in the Santee River.
Good to hear from you!

One thing we can count on, we're all getting older :)

I think you about summed up what happened in the Bay, the fishing died, or at least is not what it was. If it was that good people would go back. You and I know that if fishing is good, old or not, fishermen can't resist.

I've read there are some big stripers in the Santee Cooper lakes.

What about the inshore fishing for reds and things? I thought SC had a decent fishery for them?
Brandon

· Registered
151 Posts
Nice to see your smiling face back in action. Recently retired and bought a smaller Whaler, so I am also looking to get back to throwing some flies in the Choptank area. Did good in the spring and fall last year but mostly with light tackle spinning. Did manage to Catcha 45" Red blind jigging near Stone Rock las summer.

· Registered
767 Posts
Good to hear from you!

One thing we can count on, we're all getting older :)

I think you about summed up what happened in the Bay, the fishing died, or at least is not what it was. If it was that good people would go back. You and I know that if fishing is good, old or not, fishermen can't resist.

I've read there are some big stripers in the Santee Cooper lakes.

What about the inshore fishing for reds and things? I thought SC had a decent fishery for them?
Brandon
I read some reports from guides here who are fishing for the Reds & other coastal fish, and many of them fly fish, and they seem to be doing well. Of course, just like in the Bay, "not like it used to be" is a common theme. I also read the same thing about the lakes, and catfish, Crappies, Stripers and sometimes even the LM bass. That depends on who is commenting.

There are some big Stripers here in the lakes, and I'm sure in the rivers too, but not like the numbers that used to be in the Chesapeake and that's simply a matter of area since these rivers are not that large. The Santee where I've fished is about the size of the Patuxent in the Upper Marlboro area. Many folks here fish the diversion canals for catfish, shad when they're here, and Stripers & bass are often caught, and those are generally Stripers that are coming up from the coast. I read about them in the NC rivers near Wilmington, and even down in the Savannah River, so there's still some ocean fish moving in & out of these waters, which is a good thing IMO.

There's no commercial fishery here for the Stripers, which is also a good thing and the DNR regs shut down the fishery in the Santee system during the warmer months, with less O2 in the water, to protect the fish. Again, a good thing!

My lack of coastal fishing has mostly been having other priorities and not taking the time to drive to the coast. I can walk to Lake Marion and can fish the Santee River or canals with a short 20 to 30 minute drive.

I didn't do much fishing at all this past year. My wife had been very ill and I spent much of my time taking care of her. She passed away just this past January 10, and I'm not too sure how much fishing I'll do this year either. I'm going to try, but at the moment, my heart is not in it. That's unfortunately also one of the realities of getting older.
Jim

· Registered
95 Posts
I'm still fly fishing all the time in bay, I just focus more on trying for channel catfish and snakeheads. Too much pressure on stripers even with good C/R technique. I would have posted a new IGFA fly length record last year for a channel cat if I had their overprice measuring stick for the picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts