Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obsessive reader, first time poster, on this board. I've been coming down to Deltaville as a child since the late 80s as my grandparents built a small cottage on Sturgeon Creek. For over thirty years I've bottom fished the creek with as good of success as I have had on boats out in the river/bay. Last year we got nearly skunked on a charter and came back to row my Dad's old aluminum john boat out into the deep of the creek and were pulling up spot and croaker two at a time.

Now that I've got three kids of my own I have started taking more interest in fishing. So I have started jigging, and am hoping to find more than just croaker and spot in the creek. I know reds and pups are prevalent in there as well and have found one report of good specks in the fall (hopefully the summer too). Also reports of stripers along the rip rap at the mouth. Other reports I've found here say a place called sturgeon flats used to be a big flounder spot back in the day. Anyone know where that is? I know dolphins come up in the creek occasionally and I am assuming it's to feed.

We'll be down there over July 4th and I'll be getting around sturgeon creek in a 10ft aluminum john boat that's older than me. No trolling motor, just paddling. I want to try to fish some spots just outside of the creek and into the river a bit (sturgeon flats?) if we get a calm day. Do you think it would be possible in just a little aluminum rowboat? I'd want to stick close to the mouth of the creek or the shoreline and in the shallows.

Also any general advice on location, lures, or whatever else would be well appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think it depends on your rowing abilities. I would take a kayak with no concern but a heavy rowboat can be tougher to move in current. Not something I would do, but if you pick the right conditions and time of day, it seems doable. Make sure to bring a solid anchor at least, in case you start drifting faster than you can row.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
First I have been using rowboats for 40 years. My first one was a 10 foot john boat. But I stuck to lakes and small creeks with it. I have used in in the mouth of creeks up in the James River but would never have considered going into seriously open water with it. I also have a dory that I would go into open water with. I would be concerned about a number of things.

1. Inconsiderate motor boat operators will zoom by small boats like that and swamp you with their wakes.

2. Currents as you move further and further away from the shore. The technical term is laminar flow. To you, having been around the river for a long time, this is most certainly a captain obvious item.

3. Sudden wind shifts that turn a pretty no wind rowing in sheltered water day into one where you wish you never left the dock.

If you are only going out in open water once in a great while you might want to look into boat rentals. It is not any help up there but, for example, you can rent 16 to 18 foot skiffs at a store just north of the Coleman Bridge on RT17.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to you both. I'll probably stick to the creek. Paddling around there for a while will probably be enough of a workout.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Always take a good anchor and enough line to hold in deep water. 100 feet of 1/4" nylon and 4' of 1/4" chain. Probably a small Danforth. Only anchor from the bow never from the stern.
Probably over cautious but with the creeks and rivers flowing generally NW to SE , a stiff front blowing from Two around to N could push you out into open water where the wind and waves could overpower your oars. Anchor will prevent that. Bailing scoop is good idea too.
I spent a lot of time in a 12" rowboat and a canoe in years past and the recommendations are from experience.
The small boat lets you sneak up on fish!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts