Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine bought a new 23 Sea hunt in 2003. We fished it pretty good for 3 seasons and it held up pretty well. Early last season we noticed some stress cracks in the gel-coat. Nothing serious or structural but it was under warranty. So he put her in the shop after contacting Sea hunt for warranty repair. They've had it for a few months and just last week they called to say they put a completely new upper half on the boat. It sounds like a pretty good deal. I mean having a new upper half is almost like getting a new boat right? It also sounds like they are standing behing thier product, but is it good for the boat to be re-decked as far as structural integrity?

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Alot of boats are built like a "shoe box".The hull is made then the liner then the top or "lid" is put on.The rub rail hides the over lap and protects the joint.What they did for you is very good-100 % better then patching/fixing the cracks. Skip

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same boat. I have not noticed anything like this, but it's good to know they will stand behind thier product. I think you got a good deal.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
As a Sea Hunt owner it's good to know they stand behind their product. Fortunitely I have not had a similar problem and my boat has taken a pounding in some serious seas.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ele that's exactly what I thought. I know they make them in two pieces but did'nt know if the replacement would be as sound as the original. My friend is pretty good at getting what he whants so I took it to be true. Maybe they are not being 100% honest I dont know, but if it is'nt fixed the way they told him I would'nt wanna be them when he finds out . LOL Also I guess they had to use a newer deck so it might even be better than original.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a Sea Hunt owner it's good to know they stand behind their product. Fortunitely I have not had a similar problem and my boat has taken a pounding in some serious seas.
We have run that boat to the canyons mulitple times. Believe me it's seen some serious seas and action. It's even got a gaff mark from that mako we boated last year as a badge of honor.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Russ, My boat has only been about ten miles offshore so far, but the outriggers are on and it's headed for the canyons this year. Hope to see you out there. Jack

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Russ, My boat has only been about ten miles offshore so far, but the outriggers are on and it's headed for the canyons this year. Hope to see you out there. Jack
We'll be out there every fishable weekend. Planning on doing some early season sharking then looking for tuna. We don;t fish riggers. We run a tight spread of 7 rods and have been doing pretty good raising tuna. Only trip we got skunked we where chunking.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Russ - Is that Tony's boat you're talking about?

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Russ, anothers tory about a Sea Hunt...my friend John henry who hasa 23 has had problems with his motor missing....acted like it was a fuel problem...he took it to All Star and they charged him $1600 to replace a bunch of junk...(warranty was expired).....after that it still wasn't acting right so he took it to Beacon light....they found the problem...they said that a peice of cardboard had been left "inside" the gas tank on installation and over time had dissolved into a mass likea cigar and it was blocking the vent to the gas line......he is battling with Seahunt now to try and get them to fix it.......Just thought I would throw that in...he will be happy to hear about your friends boat...may give him some hope.......

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I also have a sea hunt and have not had those problems with the gel coat no stress cracks.Sea hunt does have great customer service ,and thats just one of the reasons I pick the sea hunt name.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the 24 is the one with the fishdoor then it looked pretty nice to me. All boats are going to have thier share of problems. It's how the company handles it that makes all the difference. Personally I would'nt trust Allstar to fix a dingy from what I know about them. They now have a 26 and a 29 that look pretty good. While they are barely a mid-level boat IMHO but they are a great value. Every one I have ridden on had a great ride that favored the offshore rollers to the bay chop. They also have a pretty dry ride compared to some others. While the gel-coat is'nt the heaviest I did witness it withstand a monster hit from a misplaced flying gaff shot and it withstood that pretty well.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No doubt, but I should make clear that the stress cracks where really just cosmetic. For the pounding we've put her through I honestly expected worse. I've seen the same thing on boats that costed alot more.

My guess is the labor was much less to pop on a new liner versus the man hours glassing and re-gelcoating the old 1.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
The Good news is that Jims marine in Galena, Md is now a Sea Hunt dealer...heard nothing but good things about them......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts