Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention VA anglers. I'm in search of a relatively rare parasite from Spanish mackerel and need some help finding some infected fish. The parasite is called Kudoa crumena. It presents itself as small whitish cycts in the fish musculature (flesh/fillets). See below for a couple of pics of this infecting a small tuna from Australia. Note that this example is misleading as it has an extremely heavy infection. I expect to see a far less dense infection in Spanish mackerel, perhaps 6-12 cycts. Has anyone seen this before while cleaning macs? If anyone comes across this please place the fish on ice and email me at hamish(at)vims.edu and I will arrange collection.

Cheers,

Hamish

Attachments

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
When spanish show in bay I fish for them alot. 3-4x a week. Have not seen this that I recall , but thank your for post, and if I see it I will try to contact!
Would be looking today but winds appear to be up.. Flags standing strait out, at our dock. white-capping in creek.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. Charlie, I'm up your way (Hayes) and fish for macs in the Bay (Y River Channel area) in the summer. So far its been very poor, tried twice and skunked twice. Strange as I've caught macs regularly in these spots in years past. I've seen little bait and few feeding birds.

Hamish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts