Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one day when my mom dropped me off at the foot of the lesner bridge on her way to work. With fishing pole(13.99 from kmart) in hand, and no idea of how to catch a fish without bait, I promised Mom that I would be just fine and see her at home that evening. I had $10 bucks for rebuilding the neighbors front flower bed and $10 from mom for breakfast and lunch. Yea, right, spend $ on food when I can BUY BAIT!!!.. Down to the beach I go, worried about nothing more than catching something to take home and show anybody that would look that I could catch a fish... AND CATCH THEM I DID! Standing at the inlet side of the lesner at a near slack tide, on March 14, 1983, with some frozen mullet, the flounder begged to be caught. And caught they were. My Grandmother (who I owe so much) got her fillets for dinner, and the neighbors were all happy.. I owe my Mom a big thank you(for taking me fishing anytime her work would allow it and for giving me that one school day off) and i hope somebody lets there kid try it tomorrow..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice story. Back in my early days, my grandfather got me hooked on fresh water fishing and my father got me hooked on saltwater fishing. Now I have a 5 and 3 year old. The older caught a puppy drum in the surf last year. At least once a week he asks when are we going fishing. I have the picture of him holding the fish, smiling from ear to ear, on my office wall that my desk faces. He will be ready for some bay fishing soon enough. I will not hesitate to take him out of school once in awhile.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doesnt suprise me that your the one that caught that! never thought id see the day I was talking about twentysome years ago.. #'s are the same, hopefully I'll see you on the water this spring... the flatties should be hungry by april

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Yo Tim... good to see you on the board again.

Yeah man, my first memories of fishing on my own were from ~1972. Fishing off the docks in Cape Charles. Hopped a ride on the train from near the old Webster's plant in Cheriton and hopped off at the ferry dock... only my Mom didn't know about it. The "reception" when I got home wasn't pretty. After the whoopin', my Grandfather took me out back and showed me how to clean what I'd caught. I'd gladly take the whoopin' again to be able to re-live that day.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Dang Mike...whatta ya have to post that for, to early in the morning to get all mushy at work. It was good saved it in my favorites.
Yea I should have warned everyone. Kinda makes me rethink the times I'm yelling at my son on the boat for doing stuff like slammin the hull with sinkers or making birdnests or losing fish from slack in the line, etc., etc.,....but I know he has a good time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
FISHDAD

thanks for the inspiration! I'm taking my kids fishing when i get home.

thanks

toby

1 - 20 of 21 Posts