Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as reported by AP
PRINCESS ANNE, Md. (AP) — Somerset County watermen are asking Delegate-elect Charles Otto to ease crabbing restrictions.
Five watermen met Saturday with Otto, pointing to results of last winter’s dredge survey that showed a 60 percent increase in the population.
Deal Island waterman Danny Webster said that given the rebound watermen should be allowed to catch crabs that are a quarter-inch smaller all season. Currently, the limit is 5 inches from April 1 to July 15, when the minimum size increases to 5 1/4 inches.
Otto, who will serve on the Environmental Matters committee, is taking over the seat held by the late Delegate D. Page Elmore and has promised to look out for the interests of watermen.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Typical lower eastern shore mentality - laws and restrictions on sooks as well as complete restrictions on winter dredging in Virginia had absolutely NO bearing on the rebound of crabs - everything in nature runs in cycles.

This is one reason why there is two different waterman groups - MWA and the Lower ES Association - the old school way of thinking and doing is fading away albeit slowly thanks goodness!

We all need to voice our concerns and keep the current restrictions in place - keep in mind there are now more rec crabbers and active commercial LCC's out there than ever. I hope we have the sense to NOT destoy the resource.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
Typical lower eastern shore mentality - laws and restrictions on sooks as well as complete restrictions on winter dredging in Virginia had absolutely NO bearing on the rebound of crabs - everything in nature runs in cycles.

This is one reason why there is two different waterman groups - MWA and the Lower ES Association - the old school way of thinking and doing is fading away albeit slowly thanks goodness!

We all need to voice our concerns and keep the current restrictions in place - keep in mind there are now more rec crabbers and active commercial LCC's out there than ever. I hope we have the sense to NOT destoy the resource.
Nature does run in cycles and the next cycle of the lower eastern shore watermen are not going to be watermen. Thus the attitude of take, take, take. After this generation, it's over for them.............Gary

·
Registered
87 Posts
If they were to do away with peeler pots and harvest immature crabs ( peelers ) as a by-catch and not a directed fishery, the spawning population would increase back to normal reproductive capabilities that were enjoyed in the 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just think how much better it would be if all those peeler (female) softy's were able to mate and drop some eggs. Hope they keep restrictions in place, conservation has helped rockfish and yellow perch

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yep. It's all the waterman's fault. Rockfish and crab population collapse. Housing market bust, high unemployment, and high gas prices. It's all their fault. Everything wrong in the world is their fault!!!! Most specifically those on the easternshore. I vote that we cut off the easternshore from being part of Maryland. Let them create their own state. They can call it Outhouseland. We can blow up the bay bridge so they can't even drive over here and bug us anymore. Lets us all band together as we are all watermans haters.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am not a waterman hater ! When we crabbed in the late seventies and on through the eighties, crabbing was consistent. When the peeler pots expanded in Tangier Sound in the early nineties, due to the NY demand for soft crabs: thats when crabbing became inconsistent and catches started to really fluctuate. The same thing happened in North Carolina this past decade. You cannot continue to harvest the immature population of any species without a major decline in the spawning population !!

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I don't think any one on the crabbing board is a waterman hater. Some of us are just trying to figure out why the watermen want to ruin their future with greed now. I don't make my living off of crabs, just a meal for me. If I did make a living off the crab ,I would want to do everything I could to preserve the future stock. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My concern is that it seems that there are some that are trying to request their representatives to Legislate their way around the DNR Fisheries Service & the Dnr Regulations. if some user group has a concern about a current regulation or rule , then their inquiry/request should go to the DNR Fisheries service for resolution. the fisheries service is charged with the management of the crab & fish populations in the bay. management of the species should not be in the hands of the legislators unless requested by the fisheries service

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
How many long in depth threads on here and B.C. have you seen on here where recs are worried about not being able to keep 2 bushels or why can't recs keep sooks. So don't single out comms as the only greedy one's on the water. It takes quite a few people to eat 2 bushels. Very seldom do I ever take even one whole bushel home to feed friends and family.

I don't personally agree with the request to catch smaller crabs, but I also don't make a blanket statement that all comercial crabbers are greedy and stupid as some people have on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts