Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from Dam Neck south all day w/o a bite. At 3:00pm I decided to move further south in sight of the Corolla Light. We fish for 30 min. on some good marks but no luck. I look way south and I see birds going off near the beach. Only one boat was there. Our first pass We caught a 35#, 41# and a 45# that was 46" which was my personal best.(Only took 8 years!) We ended up with 7 fish and I don't think but one will go under 30#. All on umbrella rigs and mojos. This is our best day for big fish ever. Got back to Rudee at 6:20pm. I want to mount my fish... who is the best for rockfish and where could I see their work? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. We were 3 miles north of corolla Light in 18' of water. Some food for thought... untill yesterday my personal best was on 2/14/03... off of Nags Head pier jigging... in a light snow. From now on I will be in NC for the duration of the season. When I stay w/in sight of Corolla Light or further good things happen this time of year for me. Good luck.The water temp was 42.8*.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Not sure of the guys name, but whoever did the mount for the state record rockfish did a fantastic job. A replica is hanging in the display case at Long Bay Point Bait/Tackle. The same guy also did a couple of huge speckled trout for Capt. Steve Wray & they are on display as well. Go check 'em out. I'm sure they will have his contact info in the shop.

Also, Congratulations on your personal best!! We fished between Rudee & the Golf Ball with the rest of the fleet on Saturday & got the big skunk. There was still plenty of bait in the area, but I can't say we ever marked a fish. One interesting point you mentioned was your fish came in 18' of water. All the big bait schools we marked we way inshore, no more than 3/4 mile off the beach in 20'-25'. Also your water was 2.5 degrees warmer that what we were fishing.

The fish must have pushed south or offshore Friday night. We fished about 1 or 2 miles south of Rudee on Friday & we had our limit by 9:30am. No really big fish, but all you wanted till the bite shut off around 10:00 or so.

Thanks again for your great report!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love days like that. There are more fish to come. post it later. Good Job.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dave Saunders does beautiful work. Just got a Striped Bass from him a month or so ago. It was 43.5 inches, takes up a good chunk of the wall. He has dozens of striper molds that he makes fiberglass mounts of. It is all airbrushed, both sides complete with a mold of the mouth of the fish. He blends blue paint in at various points so that the fish shimmers. A work of art!!! He has plenty of business, he showed me the mold he made for the world record striper (from 1984, 78 lb) that he is remounting... original was out of skin that aged. Really a nice guy, a perfectionist ... with a lovely family. As soon as I catch a big speckled trout, I am going to bring in by to him. He is in the phone book. John Kersh

·
Registered
126 Posts
congrats on a well deserved fish, and fishing trip.

Fish Dad, i believe this may be the door closing on the VA season. every week, the "Hot Spot" moves farther south, little by little. haha. but the large numbers shall once again return to these waters.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Great report! I was out on Saturday until 2:00 pm and nothing. We fished from CH to Golfball. water was 39.5 all day. We wanted to go South but with 3 to 4 chop in the morning in a 19' CC no way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts