Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not why not?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I am not sure I am a member of either group anymore, but will re-join both today, if they get off the fence on this important petition. This is a perfect chance to show they can work together on something significant.<o:p></o:p>
Blast n Cast (Jerry) should not be out there by himself. Let's all get behind this.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks Jerry for your initative. :thumbup:<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 17.25pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I don't have a strong opinion about that, but there's so much schism between all the many fishing user groups I actually think the petition could be more effective as a grassroots independent effort. That said, I don't know any CCA or MSSA members who wouldn't sign.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you Shawn, but this is as good a time as any to end the schism between fishing organizations, not promote it. We have been riding the fence on the net issue for years. I feel this is the time to take a stand. We have been told for many more years than you have fished MD, that the time is not right. With some, the time will never be right. We may have to find some new guys willing to stand up.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Like I said, I don't have a strong opinion on who should or shouldn't endorse. I just don't think it matters in an organic groundswell like this. If people can point to this and say, "oh that's just CCA or MSSA stirring things up," it could lose momentum. I don't want to see that happen. I like it that this is the people of Maryland standing up and saying *THATS ENOUGH.*

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, I don't have a strong opinion on who should or shouldn't endorse. I just don't think it matters in an organic groundswell like this. If people can point to this and say, "oh that's just CCA or MSSA stirring things up," it could lose momentum. I don't want to see that happen. I like it that this is the people of Maryland standing up and saying *THATS ENOUGH.*
Our established fishing groups can endorse it without owning it.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aren't we already doing that? You may be right though.... it deserves consideration.
I assume both organizations have their members' email addresses they use for updates. Have they sent out an email in support of the petition with a link where members can sign up?

If the answer is yes, the next thread I start will be to apologize for this thread and thank them for their help. I believe in calling things as I see them and giving credit where it is due.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bill I agree with you. I am a member of both. I will only write a check out the next time to the organizations that support this petition. I have said before maybe it is time for another organization to emerge just focused on rockfish.

·
Registered
547 Posts
After reading this thread earlier with WB and SK speaking back and forth, I went and split firewood, while thinking about this topic a story I was told by a wise man 20 years ago came creeping back into my mind. So I'm going to share it.

There was a young man and old man who had equal shares of firewood to split. The young man, cocky and full of energy bet the old man a dollar he could split his wood pile faster. The old man quietly accepted the bet. As the young man began splitting his wood, the old man set down on a wood stump with his back to the young man.

After getting almost half way through his woodpile the young man looked back and saw the old man still setting there, confidently the young man went back to splitting his pile knowing he had a full dollar to spend.

When the young man finished he turned around and saw that the old man had split all of his wood pile and was sitting taking a break. The young man was bewildered, as he paid the old man his dollar, he asked the old man how he got his woodpile split so quickly.

The old man said quietly, While you where working away, I sharpened my ax, and you assumed because I was old you could out work me but what you forgot was that a sharp ,well placed ax cuts twice as fast as a dull one.

Maybe these two organizations are sharpening their axes.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I have made a pest of myself again to the MSSA office and called them and asked them to support the petition. I was told they have a board meeting on Tuesday and the topic of netting will be discussed.

I have also reached out to the RFA as a member in asking for their support as well.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Our established fishing groups can endorse it without owning it.
Not so much. I do not belong to either of these organizations for many reasons some too much to spell out here. The MSSA and CCA along with a organization which is near and dear to me (aka employs half the graduating memebers of my env science class at WAC) the CBF, I say it is bull. It is better for every politician in this state to know that every common resident is fed up with this bullsh*t. It's not the DNR's problem it is the legislative body in this state's problem. To them vote's mean everything. They look at every member of these organizations vote as brainwashed persons. Look at it seriously here with me. The general public can do MUCH more harm in their pockets aka votes. I here you when you say it's time to make a change but if it is not obvious by now the legislative body of MD could give a F less about the CCA or MSSA. They are a joke. As every other post has said the CCA and MSSA only petition the DNR who again has really no say in this. THEY DO NOT MAKE LAWS. These posts are killing me. Bill I dont know you. I am guessing you are a hell of a guy so as a disclaimer I mean this not as a personal attack on you or your views.

Cheers,

-Evans

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Evans-

Thank you for the kind words.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
As of 6:43 this evening, there were 2500 signers and that does not count the paper petition signers. Whether they like it or not, MD's fishing organizations are going to have to either support, not support or ignore this petition. If they ignore the petition, that says something about them too. As far as I know this petition was started by Jerry Collier, an individual concerned recreational fisherman. I do not know the man, but he is a hero in my book. It is a petition for individual recreational fishermen. It is for the people, by the people. No organization can take credit for it. The fishing groups of MD can assist in getting the word out if they so choose. I think the eyes of those who fish the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland are watching very closely as to how these groups handle this. <o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.