Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd muse on about my jobsite lunch experience. Somehow I just must attract societies worst.

Idiot #1:
50 years old, living with 30 yo girlfriend who doesn't work, in new to them house. Financed with an interest only loan which because of rising interest rates the 20% of the 80/20 loan is killing him. tomorrow he gets his vasactomy reversed to the tune of 8 grand..... financed, so he can add another to the already 3 offspring not worth a squirt, the world now deals with.

Idiot #2
20 something with a non- working spouse and 3 children under the age of 6. He works under the table for 200 bucks a day, and the kids are on medical assistance. He has a new nextel , smokes 2 packs a day and gripes that even tough he hasn't paid a dime in taxes in the last 5 years he doesn't get more back.... last year Uncle Sammy sent him a check for 5 grand.

Idiot #3
50 something, hasn't filed a return in 10 years and only works for cash. Has a son who is a senior in high school. The kid is talented in sports but because Dad has no financial history scholarships are not a consideration. Dad is 2 months back on his truck payments and couldn't afford to buy himself lunch today.

So here we have 9 people total. Non have paid any taxes and 7 get a refund. The only healthcare amongst the group is state funded... paid by you... for 3 children.... and if the vasectomy reversal works add another 1, pregnant mother.... then the child.

Do you think I pick my lunch associates poorly??? I was ready to put a nail gun to my head just past noon. But I'm doing it again tomorrow... perhaps I can learn something from them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The state of Virginia once had a forced sterilization program that was eventually done away with.
Perhaps it is time to revist that program.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I doubt that welfare is taxed as income by the Feds or even by the state. But the money they spend has sales taxes applied, at least to some of it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yea fishfool, I gotta agree with that last paragraph. Everybody whines and cries about Enron, Exxon, corporate greed, corporate cheats.......all the while trying to figure out how to beat Uncle Sam out of a few bucks themselves. Joe Schmo that finagles himself a 2 grand refund check any better than corporate muckity-muck who saves his company 2 million in tax?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Systems are abused to the extent that they allow themselves to be. Without strict enforcement, any system of subsidies (which is what all these programs are) will be abused. There are two possible cures: 1) Get rid of the subsidies or 2) Enforce the rules.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just got home.. and I was wrong about idiot #2. Uncle Sammy sent him a check for 7 grand, not 5.
According to his W-2 from 2005 he earned just over 14 thousand total.

Now out of that known expenses he paid last year
$4200 for car payments
$9000 for rent

So that leaves 800 bucks for a years worth of food, gas, clothes, heating oil, electric... and anything else you can think of. So Uncle Sugar sent him 7 grand of your money to help out. What they missed was he had an extra 34 thousand not on his W-2, not taxed, no SS, no medicaid.

If the system is so smart, how can it not figure out a family of 5 can't live on 7800 bucks a year much less 800 bucks as reported?

He does send his thanks though to each and everyone of you taxpayers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts