Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but I thought I'd share on the success of using my down rigger to hold my eels on the bottom. I brought one of my down riggers with me to troll with while I was waiting for the current to start. Once the current got going pretty fast I decided, (while I was already anchored) that I'd run my line through the release snap and send it down. The leader stayed against the release snap while I sent it down. Once I was at the depth I wanted, (3' from the bottom), I let out about 15' of line on my reel. The resistance of the eel against the curent pulled the line through the snap on the ball. Had the snap set at a med. tention. When the fish takes the eel, the line slides through the clip, pulling drag from the reel. With circle hooks I just slowly increase the drag and the hook is set that way. Then when I start the actual fight,, the snap unlatches it's self and now I'm fighting the fish with no weight on my line at all.
Like I said I'm sure this is nothing new to some of you,,, I'm a newbie to striper and just thought I'd share this tactic that worked for me. Doing this I caught the biggest striper for me. 43.5" long and 35.5 lbs. on the south end of the high rise with a #7 circle hook. Thanks to Bill Cook for advising me on just how to catch these fish.... Thanks again Bill..:thumbup::yes::fishing2::clap:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good job. It's fun to figure techniques out on your own. Who knows if others are doing it? You didn't. You figured it out and it caught fish. That's fun - that's fishing. Nice.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just helping out...

Just wanted to share what I've learned because so many have done the same for me...

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'm sure you're not the first to try this but you were the one to share it....thanks, it's the sharing part that makes it such a great sport for everyone.......thank's again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
they do that in the great lakes with lite lures for salmon. I spent 10 long in MI and my salt/fresh southern ways worked, why not theirs here? good job:rockingreport:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Works also when anchored. Use a roller troller release clip and you can feed out as much line as you want at any depth you want. Good clean fun.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good post Bill!

We also do that for cobia and giant red drum here in SC.
I let out the line from the rod first, clip it on, and then let it down slowly.
You can also put a chum bag on the ball.:thumbup:(But dont tell anyone)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I do it all the time at the high level, especially during a ripping tide. pulled most of my biggest fish with it! When it is difficult to hold braided line with release or fish are shy use a heavy rubber band to release and stand by!

Capt Wayne

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy to help

It's makes me feel good to share info. So many people on this site have helped me and this is just the begining... There will NEVER be a time where I will stop trying to help,,, just wish more felt the same way. Good luck to each and everyone of you and hope to see you on the water. Happy Holidays and hope you have a kick ass New Year:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts