Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I stopped by my favorite upper-Severn dock lights on the way home from work. I haven't seen the water more full with Bunker since at least '92. You all know the old John Smith story about fish so thick that you could bail them in the boat with a frying pan? That was last night. I could run my hand through the water and bump it against dozens. They were packed in too tight to get out of the way (some looked to be struggling for oxygen, too). This wasn't just under the lights, mind you. In the moonlight, I could see that the baitfish and splashes were very thick in every direction, as far as the eye could see.

Better still, about every minute I heard the telltale splashes of spraying baitfish. Under every dock light that I could see all across the River, lots of big splashes were happening. At one point, the whole place sounded like a hail storm. In 30 minutes of casting a crystal minnow, I landed and released seven Stripers between 17.5" and 22" (natural lay, not fork).

Each Striper was so full it look like it was about to burst. A few were even pooping recognizable remains of Bunker (yuck). I have learned that Stripers sometimes taste too fishy when gorging on Bunker like that, so I didn't keep any.

And as a sign that the apocalypse is near, I actually saw Stripers, Bunker and Perch playing nicely together under the lights. The big fish would just lazily shoulder through the hordes of packed Bunker without eating them; the Bunker would just allow themselves to be pushed aside. I think that the Stripers simply became too full to eat any more.

What a sight to see.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Glad to hear they are up that far Jeff.....this year has been banner as far as I'm concerned bait wise....there are massive schools of menhaden around....maybe we'll get a good "school" up when this bait rolls out...remember '05??

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing. We could be setting up for quite a bonanza come November. I think that we're also better positioned than in years to get decent amounts of sea-run fish up in near Annapolis. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

All of this almost had me forget that Pickerel season should start to kick in as this cold air settles in.

I used to dread fall & winter (shorter days, colder weather). Now they're just other Severn fishing seasons to look forward to.

P.S.: If any of you in tomorrow's tourney want to fish up-River, toss a big swimming plug for me. Judging by the splashes, we may have a bubbas already.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Wow... would love to see that. I put up dock lights when I lived on the Magothy (pissed off a few neighbors) just hoping to see that scenario you described. I guess it would be hard to get pics, but would really like to see them.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow... would love to see that. I put up dock lights when I lived on the Magothy (pissed off a few neighbors) just hoping to see that scenario you described. I guess it would be hard to get pics, but would really like to see them.
I took a few with my cell phone. Black as ink...the moonlight didn't help. Maybe next time I'll bring the video camera on night vision mode.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is awesome Jeff. I've been seeing the same large numbers of tight schools around the lights off the Round Bay docks. We have a LOT of seagrass over here which may provide some protection from the bigger predator fish so it's harder to see but you often hear them.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts