Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the bite continues to be wide open in the bay. Not sure why everyone wants to go to the CBBT or kiptopeake but I'm glad they do since yesterday we had the whole bay to our selves. I have only posted a couple reports of what has been going on this fall but because of some of the things we expierenced yesterday I had to post another one. We launched the boat at 730am and by 745 I was putting the first rod over due to the stacked up fish I was seeing on the screen. Putting the first rod out it gets almost an immediate hook-up. While fighting that fish I put another one out and again hookup. One of the rods has two fish on. After we land those fish I get away from the school and put out four rods. Make another pass and now all four rods go down, again half have two fish on them. These were all big fish, not the 32-33 inch fish in the ocean. Most of the fish were 36-39 inches. Anyway, on the next pass I notice that the fish have moved a little deeper and we only hook up on two rods. Put out two more rods with heavier baits make a turn on the school and now we have all six rods hooked up with just three guys. Make that two since One has the video camera. Again two of the six rods have double hook ups. Now heres the most unbelievable thing.....After clearing one of the rods and releasing the fish. I place the rod in the rod holder with one of the baits in the boat and the other one in the water where its about a six inches deep and right behind the motors. I go to help land another fish on another rod and a 42lb fish comes up right between the motors and grabs the bait thats just dangling in the water. This kind of action went on for 45mins. In that time we caught approx 40 fish most of which were between 20-35lbs with a couple 40lb fish. We only stopped because we physically couldnt reel any more....Well not with those rods. UP they went and out came the light tackle. On every drop we at least all hooked a fish. We spent the next couple hours catching approx 30 fish up to almost 40lbs on ten pound spinning tackle. I have never caught so many big fish on light tackle!

This is definitely some of the best fishing I have seen on the bay. Those of you who know me or have fished with me, know that I commonly put 20-30 fish in the boat trolling but to have every rod go down on every pass... half of which have two fish on them is unbelievable. Then to catch the same grade of fish on light tackle....WOW!

The good news is that as long as it stays warm, and the bait stays here I don't think it going to change!

PS video coming soon!!!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah...one more thing....Many thanks to my all star crew...Capt. Darren Rickwood from chesapeake bay adventures and Capt. Brian Wenworth from Notorius charters. With over 70 fish caught and back to the ramp by 1pm these guys were the best! We didn't use a net since its catch and release only and the net harms the fish. With these awesome captians we didn't loose one fish even though we had no net!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yea, congrats on the good fishing. Thats a great day but where on the bay were you? In general of course! :D Choptank? Maryland? Virginia?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
WOW WTG.:D

Sounds fantastic. Last dec I was considering moving my Cat to Buzzes. This yr I am busy at home and didn't consider it. :(
Next yr I am retired...so all bets are off.

Congrats.:D

·
Registered
767 Posts
Great report. I still have a boat in the water upriver At Coles Pt and would love a little catch and release action. How far away from PLO were you fishing? Is catch and release legal in the MD part of the bay right now? Were you jigging stingsilvers or plastic or trolling? Any advice would be appreciated, will reciprocate if I get out this weekend

·
Registered
404 Posts
This was absolutely one of the best days I've ever had on the bay. We have done the CBBT thing and whacked fish all day long on light tackle, but this was even better. Better grade of average fish and it was literally non-stop. I was tired of trolling in about 10 minutes (maybe 15 fish)... The best part, we were in MD waters!!!

I was on the video camera when the 42lb. fish hit the "dangler" behind the motors. I don't know how many expletives I let fly, but it was amazing. A 42lb. fish that was caught without ever turning the reel! It bit, Fishcop leadered, we weighed/measured, and sent her back to the depths... Literally, UnREEL!

Thanks to Fishcop and Capt. Rickwood for a great day with pals! Oh yeah, I think I saw a ripple in the water once, but it was pretty much FLAT calm all day...

Capt. Bryan Wentworth
Notorious Sportfishing
http://www.fishnotorious.com

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Outstanding

This is the second time I get to hear this report of the "dangler" as I was in the truck with boomer on the way back from the ocean........did you guys see the biggun hit that lure......sort of reminds me of chili's report of a couple years ago when he had out the tuna gear in DEC and the bass were coming up in the spread at 6 knots......amazing stuff. Hows your thumb doing today??

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I went on a muskie charter this summer up in Canada on the St. Lawrence. The guide wanted to do some trolling but I insisted on trying to raise them while casting. I hooked a few fish, one close to 50" but didn't land anything.

ON the way back in I said we could troll and he put two lines in the prop wash, 5 feet behind the boat. He says it's his best method of catching the biguns and he said he has friends in NC and Va who do the same thing for stripers there. He said for some reason big predatory fish are not scared of the motor but are attracted to it, possibly because bait gets trapped behind the boat.

It's never a bad idea to fish a close line but the way you guys caught that fish is awesome. The question is can you do it again?

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Does that mean we should stop turning off our motors while jig'n for Hogs?:D

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I thought only diesel motors raised fish:) ----------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts