1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bribery allegedly caught on tape
Court filing says congressman hid cash in freezer
By Allan Lengel By Matthew Barakat, Associated Press | May 22, 2006

WASHINGTON -- US Representative William Jefferson, the subject of a 14-month bribery investigation, was videotaped accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from a Virginia investor who was wearing an FBI wire, according to an affidavit released yesterday.

I hope this continues and that the whole corrupt bunch is sent packing to jail.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]djones originally wrote:
Move over, Duke Cunningham and make room for a cellmate.
[/Q]Sadly, this probably won't happen. They will both most likely have private rooms, double bed, TV, janitors to keep it all cleaned up. Strictly minimum security for the slimeballs.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]BigJim originally wrote:
all incumbants should be voted out and that we should start over.
[/Q]Cool, but that's only half of the equation. What qualified candidates are we gonna vote IN? And please don't say the Polish WebGeek that the Libertarians ran for Pres.[grin]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
What qualifies someone to be a legislator? I think ordinary people collectively making up a broad spectrum of the population with ordinary skills and intellect will do just fine if we can somehow weed out those lacking in integrity.

Entrenchment leads to corruption. We need to recognize this and go the term limit route. In some ways this seems undemocratic but it is the lesser of two evils. Experience does not a good legislator make.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Term Limits would probably help, but who would ever pass such a law?
Publicly funded elections would be an additional option. One study I saw said we could do it for about $6.00/person. Currently, we pay an estimated $200.00/person for the "pork" due to special interest groups.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Throw the bums out. If we can't find a suitable replacement, then screw it. We could stand a couple years without any new laws being made. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts