Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peeping, prying and spying on its own citizens is one legacy of the Bush admistration....
FBI Misused Patriot Act, Audit Finds
By LARA JAKES JORDAN
AP
WASHINGTON (March 9) - The FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the USA Patriot Act to secretly obtain personal information about people in the United States, a Justice Department audit concluded Friday.

And for three years the FBI underreported to Congress how often it forced businesses to turn over the customer data, the audit found.

The audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine found that FBI agents sometimes demanded personal data on individuals without proper authorization. The 126-page audit also found the FBI improperly obtained telephone records in non-emergency circumstances.

Still, "we believe the improper or illegal uses we found involve serious misuses of national security letter authorities," the audit concludes.

At issue are the security letters, a power outlined in the Patriot Act that the Bush administration pushed through Congress after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. The letters, or administrative subpoenas, are used in suspected terrorism and espionage cases. They allow the FBI to require telephone companies, Internet service providers, banks, credit bureaus and other businesses to produce highly personal records about their customers or subscribers - without a judge's approval.........

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
That's OK Etou, I didn't need my privacy anyway. It isn't like the FED would to hurt American citizens.

Did those two border patrol agents ever get out of jail?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Peeping, prying and spying on its own citizens is one legacy of the Bush admistration....
FBI Misused Patriot Act, Audit Finds
By LARA JAKES JORDAN
AP
WASHINGTON (March 9) - The FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the USA Patriot Act to secretly obtain personal information about people in the United States, a Justice Department audit concluded Friday.

And for three years the FBI underreported to Congress how often it forced businesses to turn over the customer data, the audit found.

The audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine found that FBI agents sometimes demanded personal data on individuals without proper authorization. The 126-page audit also found the FBI improperly obtained telephone records in non-emergency circumstances.

Still, "we believe the improper or illegal uses we found involve serious misuses of national security letter authorities," the audit concludes.

At issue are the security letters, a power outlined in the Patriot Act that the Bush administration pushed through Congress after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. The letters, or administrative subpoenas, are used in suspected terrorism and espionage cases. They allow the FBI to require telephone companies, Internet service providers, banks, credit bureaus and other businesses to produce highly personal records about their customers or subscribers - without a judge's approval.........
"Peeping, prying and spying on its own citizens is one legacy of the Bush admistration...."

So I suppose it was O.K. that FDR locked up Japanese American women and children, because he was not "Bush" - - - or maybe it was O.K. because he was a Dem, and he "felt your pain" !

We are at war, and we will be for at least a couple of decades, better get used to it - - -

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I sure would hate to be an Arab looking individual living here. Fact is, it could just as easily be a black African or indo-pacific Asian plotting to blow up the next building.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
My point was that profiling won't catch them all and I feel for the innocents who are targeted. I'm surprised you didn't throw in a jab at the Mexicans. Remember Padilla?

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
"Peeping, prying and spying on its own citizens is one legacy of the Bush admistration...."

So I suppose it was O.K. that FDR locked up Japanese American women and children, because he was not "Bush" - - - or maybe it was O.K. because he was a Dem, and he "felt your pain" !

We are at war, and we will be for at least a couple of decades, better get used to it - - -
No, BB. Many of us see the Japanese Americans interment as being a blight on the history of a free nation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My point was that profiling won't catch them all and I feel for the innocents who are targeted. I'm surprised you didn't throw in a jab at the Mexicans. Remember Padilla?
I agree. I will also say that it's the "cost" of doing business. If I had to be stopped on the street once a month and checked to prevent another 9/11, NO PROBLEM.

As far as the Mexicans:D .....No way in the world a mexican could figure out how to rig a dirty bomb:cool:

On the other hand....I would REALLY suspect tactics to be used where individuals recruited by terrorist groups have the "look" that could pass for a "mexican" or an "Anglo" to draw no attention....

Tony

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BB neither said nor implied that Dems have not some similiar things, however, with the advanced technology the government can spy upon its own citizens more easily. If you want to play Dem vs Pub...read Nixon's biography as well as J. Edgar Hoover's. Why not just put the same effort into American instead of political parties?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
BB neither said nor implied that Dems have not some similiar things, however, with the advanced technology the government can spy upon its own citizens more easily. If you want to play Dem vs Pub...read Nixon's biography as well as J. Edgar Hoover's. Why not just put the same effort into American instead of political parties?
These are your exact words - - -

"Peeping, prying and spying on its own citizens is one legacy of the Bush admistration....

I just can't wait until they elect someone else President so I can see how long it is before you start blaming him for all that is wrong with the county.

What is wrong with the country is people like you who vote like sheep, ignorant of truth, ingornant of vision, ignorant of history.

We get exactly the government we deserve because as a country we are too stupid to care about anything but Britney, Nicole, and Paris - - -

The average man on the street thinks that Pascal's wager is some new lottery game, and that Chernoble was Chers's name before she changed it.

Liberals and libertarians should all be taken out and shot !

BB

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bay Bob....if you have not reached an advanced level of senility I stated that ONE legacy of the Bush administration is peeping etc. That does not disclude other administrations nor other presidents.

Just because you disagree with my points does not make you smart and me stupid or at least in the world of intelligent people it does not.
Finally, history is my hobby. That we can read the same article and arrive at differing conclusions has nothing to do with either being smarter but everything to do with formal and informal education, life paths and experiences.
"What is wrong with this country is people like me....and having full knowledge of what the average man thinks" is a attempt to make yourself so superior to the balance of us as to know what we are all thinking and what is wrong with this country. A ego that large needs a auditorium not a message board.
Finally, if your only contribution to a post of mine is insults..save the hot air and do not read them. Now that took deep thought didn't it?

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts