Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time no post... Sorry been busy...

I just got back from Jackson Hole as my first "West" fly fishing experience. It was amazing.

I fished the Snake Mostly as many other waters are not holding many fish right now.

the pure power and volume of the water pushing against waders...the horizontal snow... the only fishing partner being the Osprey... the pleasurable cut throat on the end of a 5 weight... the number of 15-24 inch trout that picked up my nymphs...the late afternoon midge hatch... the amazing Scenes of snow covered mountains, big sky, and wild life. Amazing!

I was there in "the off season" I waded only and didn't hire a guide although made some friends who are guides.

I fished 3 days with every day the trout count being over 20.

A great 1st time west experience.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very nice. I've been to Chile, Africa, England to Novia Scotia but have still not ventured out west of my own country to cast a fly. Someday.

With all this wind and water hitting our bay and rivers, it's time to go trout fishing this weekend. Out west sounds like a great idea, Western MD that is. Casselman is already at a fishable flow and the yough should follow suit. The caddis hatches in the evening this time of year are spectacular.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Jackson Hole is great, I didn't fish the Snake, but did do well on the Gross Venture, seemed like cuthroats on every cast!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bmail me next time you are headed out that way. I go out there every year and can put you on some great rivers & lakes other than the snake, especially in the parks. In the Tetons Taggart Lake and a few other secret spots are options and if you want to go to Yellowstone I'd be glad to help there as well as we do a two week back country trip every year in the park with unreal fishing. NW WY has some of the best fishing I've ever done and the scenery is unbelieveable. If you're willing to hoof it a few miles into the back country the snake will look commercial to you. Glad you had a good trip. What section of the Snake did you fish primarily?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Snake in Idaho offers great fishing. The South fork near Idaho Falls is nice as well as The Henrys Fork. Lower River as the locals call it fishes well before the Island Park section
(Box Canyon, Ranch, Last Chanch). Henrys Lake is very scenic and offers cutbows up to 7lbs. Hebgan Lake outta "West" is productive for "gulping" w/ calibeatis. The A Bar or Trouthunter is good for beer and conversation. P.S If you can hit the Green Drake hatch, it really is all it's cracked up to be. Peace.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hit at the Gros but the fish were mainly down in the snake still as the water in the Gros was still pretty cold. the lake above the Gros was still iced over with about 2 feet of ice. coll thing about the Gros was it was covered up in Elk. Hundreds. It was pretty cool to be around all those Elk and fish. On that note I had a conversation with a Moose on the snake. We had to come to an agreement that all I wanted to do was fish. He didn't seem to mind and kept eating the buds off small trees by the waters edge.

Yellowstone was closed due to snow. We drove up through grand teetons to the gate and couldn't even get to the gate. they had road closed about 3 miles before the gate.

it was an awesome trip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts