Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bluefish were almost too thick to allow us to keep a bait in the water for more then 5-10 minutes at a clip. water was 54.3 and much cleaner then friday. Beautiful flat calm day. Marked some tunas but the bait was not as concentrated as it was on friday. Heard of some tunas busting around the twin wrecks but we never saw any.

Blues were full of sand eels and squid

·
Registered
286 Posts
i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about in terms of bluefish. we were there and didnt have a knockdown nor any bluefish marks all morning. the only thing we saw was a boil on the jackspot . we were looking for the bft's, but nobody home for us. we did mark a few big critters on the bottom, might have been sharks though. did you hear of anybody else other than the under 47", putting anything in the box. i just heard about it being slow but few fish seen near the 3rd lump. pretty cold running in the dark early, but a nice day on the troll.
by the way we only saw packs of 6-8 birds actively feeding and no fish underneath them busting or marked. wierd.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about in terms of bluefish. we were there and didnt have a knockdown nor any bluefish marks all morning. the only thing we saw was a boil on the jackspot . we were looking for the bft's, but nobody home for us. we did mark a few big critters on the bottom, might have been sharks though. did you hear of anybody else other than the under 47", putting anything in the box. i just heard about it being slow but few fish seen near the 3rd lump. pretty cold running in the dark early, but a nice day on the troll.
by the way we only saw packs of 6-8 birds actively feeding and no fish underneath them busting or marked. wierd.
We started the day we 3 12 packs of large mediums and 4 2-packs of horses. Thats 44 baits in the bait cooler. We kept 10 bluefish and released at least 25 more. All the bluefish were fat as a tick full of big squids and sands eels. They would throw them up all over the boat when we landed one. At one point we couldn't make a pass without both our planer rods getting nibbles from bluefish. We only trolled 4 rods. two long riggers and two planers. we only got hit twice on the longrigges. all other bites came on #16 planers with 3.5 oz big heavy on 130lb and 200lb florocarbon trolled about 100 yards behind the planer. We let the planers out 80 and 100 feet and trolled at 4 knots. Problem is the bluefish hang with the bait and the tuna are in there also. So we had to suck it up and deal with them. It just wasn't our day. We resisted going to the twin wrecks (where we heard they were rolling) until the last 30 minutes of the day. We knew we were marking blufins at the jackspot- we just couldn't get the bite.

We saw a few other boats at the Jackspot - one boat was a Green Trophy that was trolling a bird. Also saw the ARNO and How's Fishing. Saw a couple of others that were a bit away from us. We were in a seafoam green express with a tower called Darlin.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yes, we saw you. we marked some 1/4 mile behind that dragger on the north east edge. good job on the blue dogs. thank god we didnt have that problem. it was cold enough out there. we ran 2 longs and a planer #16 w/ horse ilander combo with no love. we did have the planer rod buck hard 4x, no drag pulling, and only a horse head left. leads me to believe it was a sign of the enemy. we were in a 27 everglades center console "high stakes". did anybody boat anything that day? i heard rumors on thurs.(next day) but i believe thats just what they were. i also heard the canyon was loaded with healthy bfts up to 200#. washington. did you hear anything about that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts