Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago there was an article in delmarvanow.com about a James Island replenishment. We haven’t been near there since then, or kept up with any current news. Was surprised that the island was completely out of site yesterday.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two years ago there was an article in delmarvanow.com about a James Island replenishment. We haven’t been near there since then, or kept up with any current news. Was surprised that the island was completely out of site yesterday.
p.s. - title should be James island near mouth of little choptank gone. Seem to be having issues with this iPad. **#@)%

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
There are a couple lumps left, but they are tiny. Heartbreaking. I'm glad replenishment happens, but if we look at Poplar, it doesn't give particularly good public use of the island in any respect, which is unfortunate considering how much we paid to have it put back.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
We went out in March and I thought we were in the wrong place. I'll post a picture when I get home of last November.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I'm surprised it lasted this long. In the Severn, I know of dozens of shorelines, sandbars or small islands that are underwater or nearly so. In this region we're getting the double-whammy of sea level rise and land subsidence. The real problem is the Delmarva. Saltwater intrusion is starting to effect cropland. And if that sounds bad, Florida is in a world of hurt with a population a zillion times that of the Delmarva and nationally critical ag industry. A friend returning from Florida told me that every grocery store sells water test kits now.

Reactions: UncleRob

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Jeff, great post, and anyone who is considering purchasing property near tidewater should be very thoughtful about flooding issues. The science from NOAA speaks for itself. Flood insurance is going to become more restrictive and some areas will not be insurable. Blah blah blah.....

Tthere are reports that a large portion of the septic systems in Dade Co FL are not currently functional due to sea level rise/saltwater intrusion inland, and its getting worse.
Septic Vulnerability.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
I can't find the pictures we took of the islands. Here's what I do have from March.
Water Sky Liquid Fluid Bird

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We have the means to rebuild these islands. They’re dredging the harbor now. Hopefully the spoiles go there instead of hart millers wild theme park
I think we've got a while yet, but the wheels are definitely in motion. I also heard the state will wait until the island is gone so no one can claim any Riparian Rights. Don't know if that's true though.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Crazy thing, if you look up the real meaning of riparian rights, it dictates the owner ship of the water off the land owned by an individual. Maryland does not and cannot do that. Water usage is limited to the mean high water mark. It’s a, we’ll make the laws as we go thing.

for example, I own my house but evidently lease the land the house is on. Ground rent, if you will. Yet, I still have to pay taxes on the land I do not own. If I’m paying ground rent, why am I also paying taxes on the ground? It’s not my ground. I’m just renting it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts